[SOLVED] Modem: Allowed List Configuration

falcios

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I am using the HITRON CODA-4582 modem. Under Security/Device Filter/Allow Listed, I listed MAC addresses allowed. Do I have to enter the same addresses under Wireless/Access Control as well?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I am using the HITRON CODA-4582 modem. Under Security/Device Filter/Allow Listed, I listed MAC addresses allowed. Do I have to enter the same addresses under Wireless/Access Control as well?

Thanks in advance.
MAC address filtering is false seccurity in most cases. MAC spoofing is very easy. It might deter kids for a little while. Strong passwords, disabling insecure things like UPNP and WPS, and changing passwords regularly is the way to protect your WIFI.

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks in advance.
MAC address filtering is false seccurity in most cases. MAC spoofing is very easy. It might deter kids for a little while. Strong passwords, disabling insecure things like UPNP and WPS, and changing passwords regularly is the way to protect your WIFI.

Reactions: falcios
Solution

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
The first menu option are probably for wired MACs, which will be different than the MAC address of the wifi adapter.

Also as above these are easily circumvented in a wireless environment, as AP associations can be seen over the air. An attacker would just clone an existing association and then be able to access your environment (assuming they also cracked the password via brute force or WPS vulnerability). A long password and disabling WPS helps a lot more than a MAC filter list.