Modem Blaster V.92 PCI ~vs~ Windows XP

I had to buy a new HD and at the same time a modem. Once my computer has been
working for a small while and then i get a blue screen that starts off with
something along the lines of: machine_exception etc.etc.etc + hexadecimal code
I already found out that its a problem with hardware and after looking
online it points towards networking so therefore i am thinking its the modem.
I dont know why the modem would be giving a problem and i cannot find
anything online for compatibility.

bar

Check the manufacturer's web site for update drivers for the modem.

Generally the PCI card on board modems cause many problems. USB external
modems are much more reliable.

"SailnSpider" wrote:

> I had to buy a new HD and at the same time a modem. Once my computer has been
> working for a small while and then i get a blue screen that starts off with
> something along the lines of: machine_exception etc.etc.etc + hexadecimal code
> I already found out that its a problem with hardware and after looking
> online it points towards networking so therefore i am thinking its the modem.
> I dont know why the modem would be giving a problem and i cannot find
> anything online for compatibility.

Not completely true! PCI modems work correctly providing they do not share
IRQs (which is almost impossible) and have the correct XP certified
drivers. Also, a lot of problems occur when the modem is one of those
"Winmodems" (i.e.: controlling software (firmware) is in Windows and not
the modem.)

> Check the manufacturer's web site for update drivers for the modem.
>
> Generally the PCI card on board modems cause many problems. USB external
> modems are much more reliable.
>
> "SailnSpider" wrote:
>
>> I had to buy a new HD and at the same time a modem. Once my computer has
>> been
>> working for a small while and then i get a blue screen that starts off
>> with
>> something along the lines of: machine_exception etc.etc.etc + hexadecimal
>> code
>> I already found out that its a problem with hardware and after looking
>> online it points towards networking so therefore i am thinking its the
>> modem.
>> I dont know why the modem would be giving a problem and i cannot find
>> anything online for compatibility.

Problems with "interupts" can occur with PCI modems IF the SAME PCI
interupt is being used by the AGP port by an agressive video card. Note
that this is NOT the IRQ that is listed by Device manager but is the PCI
HARDWARE interupt line (A,B,C, or D) and is assigned to the PCI slot.
Changing slots will change the line that is used. What interupt line is
used for the primary interupt and which is used for the secondary
interupt for each slot will be found in the motherboard manual or should
be available from the manufacturer.

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> Not completely true! PCI modems work correctly providing they do not share
> IRQs (which is almost impossible) and have the correct XP certified
> drivers. Also, a lot of problems occur when the modem is one of those
> "Winmodems" (i.e.: controlling software (firmware) is in Windows and not
> the modem.)
>

> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Check the manufacturer's web site for update drivers for the modem.
>>
>>Generally the PCI card on board modems cause many problems. USB external
>>modems are much more reliable.
>>
>>"SailnSpider" wrote:
>>

>>>I had to buy a new HD and at the same time a modem. Once my computer has
>>>been
>>>working for a small while and then i get a blue screen that starts off
>>>with
>>>something along the lines of: machine_exception etc.etc.etc + hexadecimal
>>>code
>>>I already found out that its a problem with hardware and after looking
>>>online it points towards networking so therefore i am thinking its the
>>>modem.
>>>I dont know why the modem would be giving a problem and i cannot find
>>>anything online for compatibility.

Guess wut, i finally got to reload windows. started to put in drivers and i
got the same problem....i uninstalled the modem and went on my way, i had got
a new game last week so i played for 1.5hrs till bed. next day i turned on
the comp and i got:
`a disk read error occured.....press ctrl+alt+del to reboot` which had
happened before. Now thats all i get........so shall i be thinkn harddrive
then!?...........talk about pi$$3d off
Id appreciate the help

"SailnSpider" wrote:

> I had to buy a new HD and at the same time a modem. Once my computer has been
> working for a small while and then i get a blue screen that starts off with
> something along the lines of: machine_exception etc.etc.etc + hexadecimal code
> I already found out that its a problem with hardware and after looking
> online it points towards networking so therefore i am thinking its the modem.
> I dont know why the modem would be giving a problem and i cannot find
> anything online for compatibility.

Try changing slots, the modem is sharing an interrupt with something that
won't tolerate the modem drivers.

HTH
T.