Modem Ethernet issues

Vorfness

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I have Arris SBG6580. I am getting 60-90 Mbps on wifi. Recently i tried connecting via Ethernet directly to modem and I am getting 5 Mbps. I know that connection should be more stable and generally work better since there is no wifi interference. What might be causing it? I use a blue ethernet cord, which is just a meter or something close to that long. Could it be the type of wire? Or a setting on modem which makes ethernet extremely slow? Or is it just a broken modem?

Solution

Yes, as stated above 8 wires are faster. Standard Cat5/e (normal ethernet) is 4 pairs of twisted wires for a total of 8 wires.

If your cable only has 4 wires it is what we call Cat3, with a maximum speed of 10Mbps.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
That does not sound right. I assume you are on a laptop? If so what model, if not please tell us your MB or network card.

Check the blue ethernet cable, carefully inspect the transparent section of the plug. How many small multicolored wires do you see? There should be 8 wires. If there are only 4 wires this can be the cause of the slow speed.

Vorfness

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I was actually just reading how different types of ethernet cables support different speeds- i think it's possible that i have the 10 Mb/s one
i am using Z170 Gigabyte gaming 3 which has killer 2200, which is what i think the network card is

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try another network cable cat5e straight through cable will be fine. And make sure your drivers are installed for your network adapter and if you have multiple RJ45 inputs behind your PC check which is which by referring to your motherboard manual/spec sheet. Some mobo's can have multiple network ports ie Intel & Realtek, just check the proper drivers are installed and not using Microsoft's generic drivers.

Also check speed & duplex under network adapter properties is set to auto detect/set to highest available

50812d1410717707t-windows-8-1-loses-wired-internet-connection-duplex.png

Either Cat5e/6 is enough for Gigabit speeds. 100Mbps (Megabit) speed uses 4 wires whilst 1000Mbps (Gigabit) uses all 8.

Vorfness

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

would the gigabit Ethernet work with killer e2200? Now that I think of it - it starts making sense. The house I live in is pretty old so all the cables in the walls are prob pretty old as well. My PC is on the second floor while modem is on the first. It connects through really long Ethernet cable which probably only support 10 Mbps connection. I need to see if I have the gigabit Ethernet cable - but I guess I will just need a technician to come and pull some newer Ethernet cords through the walls. Also did u say cat5e or cat6 was gigabit? Because I have 200Mbps plan which I guess won't be supported by 100mbps cords.

Vorfness

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

So the 8 color wires should be the faster ones?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can check your computer by moving it to the router to see if it is the condition of the cable inside the wall.

200Mbps is 25MB/s

Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 are rated 900Mbps+ or 125MB/s

Cat cables can come in all sorts of shield colours, blue/ red / yellow/ green / clear etc. Just go by the number - Cat5e/Cat 6. Cat 6 and onwards are more expensive and do support higher bandwidth but for your internet connection even the standard Cat5 will do. Cat5e is just better shielded compared to standard 5 from interference.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Yea 4 wires would be restricted to something like 80Mbps

Jester Maroc

Distinguished

Yes, as stated above 8 wires are faster. Standard Cat5/e (normal ethernet) is 4 pairs of twisted wires for a total of 8 wires.

If your cable only has 4 wires it is what we call Cat3, with a maximum speed of 10Mbps.

Solution