after I finish sending or receiving a fax using my computer program
I close the winfaxpro program and make sure the controller in the task bar
is closed as well
if I do not physically remove the modem cord from the wall socket
the next telephone ring will start the fax receiving annoying beeps anyway!
killing the winfax process does not improve the situation. the modem will
still screech when I have a phone call.
do I have to manually remove the modem cable each time I don't expect a fax
or is there something I forget to do?
win xp pro (English Hebrew enabled) 2.4 GHz 256 Mb ram
MODEM: Intel Corporation PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 2, device 4, function 0) IRQ 17
com3

WinFax Pro is a Symantec product. This is not a Symantec group.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Eli Aran" <eli_yardena@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> after I finish sending or receiving a fax using my computer program
> I close the winfaxpro program and make sure the controller in the task bar
> is closed as well
> if I do not physically remove the modem cord from the wall socket
> the next telephone ring will start the fax receiving annoying beeps
> anyway!
> killing the winfax process does not improve the situation. the modem will
> still screech when I have a phone call.
> do I have to manually remove the modem cable each time I don't expect a
> fax
> or is there something I forget to do?
> win xp pro (English Hebrew enabled) 2.4 GHz 256 Mb ram
> MODEM: Intel Corporation PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 2, device 4, function 0) IRQ
> 17
> com3

"Eli Aran" <eli_yardena@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> after I finish sending or receiving a fax using my computer
> program
> I close the winfaxpro program and make sure the controller in the
> task bar
> is closed as well
> if I do not physically remove the modem cord from the wall socket
> the next telephone ring will start the fax receiving annoying
> beeps anyway!
> killing the winfax process does not improve the situation. the
> modem will
> still screech when I have a phone call.
> do I have to manually remove the modem cable each time I don't
> expect a fax
> or is there something I forget to do?
> win xp pro (English Hebrew enabled) 2.4 GHz 256 Mb ram
> MODEM: Intel Corporation PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 2, device 4, function
> 0) IRQ 17
> com3

Once any fax program sends a command to a modem, the command remains
in effect until changed. You have to turn off auto-answer with the
fax program before you close the program. An external modem will
answer the phone even if the computer is off. That is how
wake-on-ring (WOR) works.

A good rule to remember is that the fax program does not answer the
phone. The modem goes offhook for an incoming call. If a program
is monitoring the IRQ signal, it will respond to the notice by doing
whatever it is supposed to when a call comes in.

--
Earl F. Parrish