[SOLVED] Modem Internet randomly cuts off and come back when restarted

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Hi, i have a cisco WAG120N with DSL connection. AT random times, the Internet icon shuts down and I have to restart the modem to come back again. I tried to change the filter but didn't resolve the issue, Im wondering if someone can help me narrow the problem cuz many components could be the issue.
(The modem is 8 years old so could it be the problem, i don't want to change it and then discover that the issue was not related to the modem)

Solution
The modem is 8 years old so could it be the problem
When a device exhibits odd behavior after a long while of service, that's usually a sign that the device is in need of replacement.

To rule out the device being held back by perhaps a revised firmware, check and see if it's got any firmware updates pending.

Lutfij

Titan
When a device exhibits odd behavior after a long while of service, that's usually a sign that the device is in need of replacement.

To rule out the device being held back by perhaps a revised firmware, check and see if it's got any firmware updates pending.

Solution

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Routers, modems, and gateways have various lifespans. Some last only a year or two, others last a decade. It really depends, but after 8 years, I'd say it's starting to give out. Time for a new one.

Reactions: mhmd shoumar

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Routers, modems, and gateways have various lifespans. Some last only a year or two, others last a decade. It really depends, but after 8 years, I'd say it's starting to give out. Time for a new one.
Hi, i replaced the modem yesterday with a tp link TD-W8961N but the issue persisted, random cut off of dsl and internet light, the good thing is that the new modem will automatically restart. I also changed the filter and all cables(except the main one that comes out of wall). I called my isp and they monitored the line for 3 days but didn't find anything suspicious

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
I would check the power supply of the device. I've recently realized a lot of 'old' devices having problems are actually only power supply issues where the power supply is no longer outputting enough ampage and a fresh power supply fixes the issues.
Hi, i replaced the modem yesterday with a tp link TD-W8961N but the issue persisted, random cut off of dsl and internet light, the good thing is that the new modem will automatically restart. I also changed the filter and all cables(except the main one that comes out of wall). I called my isp and they monitored the line for 3 days but didn't find anything suspicious

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015

Hi, i replaced the modem yesterday with a tp link TD-W8961N but the issue persisted, random cut off of dsl and internet light, the good thing is that the new modem will automatically restart. I also changed the filter and all cables(except the main one that comes out of wall). I called my isp and they monitored the line for 3 days but didn't find anything suspicious. IS there an y software, cmd check that can reveal something is off?

So then it's probably a signal issue even if your isp says 'everything is okay'.

Reactions: mhmd shoumar

TRENDING THREADS