[SOLVED] Modem Micro-Cuts very often ?

Agustin Lanus

Honorable
Jul 12, 2015
I re-made this post since that last time I posted it everything pointed at it being an electricity problem but I now have the modem connected directly to a UPS so I don't think that can be the problem anymore

For the past 8 months or so I've been having trouble with my internet where the modem turns off all lights for a second and then slowly turns them back on.
I've had had at least 6 technicians come over and try to fix it without progress, so far they've change the modem twice, replaced old equipment from my building and changed the cables from the modem entirely.
With all that I'm pretty sure it's not my ISP's fault but now I have no idea what the problem could be or what I should try to fix it ?

Specs:

Sagemcom Fast3890 V3 Modem-Router
Motherboard PRIME X399-A
Apc Easy Ups Bv500
ISP is Fibertel and the connection is Ethernet (Wired)
Windows 10

Let me know if I need to provide any other information,
Thanks.

Solution
By tracing the cable runs I mean follow each cable from end to end.

Do so safely - no climbing on roofs or through attic spaces, crawl spaces or any where else you are not comfortable going.

Idea being to physically inspect as much of the wire as safely as possible. It does not take much damage to cause problems. Just a drop of water penetrating into any sort of cable can cause problems. Corrosion and dirt in and on connectors can likewise cause problems.

Un-terminated coax cables could be a issue. The cables should be electrically terminated vs a dust cap that is all too often used instead.

FYI:

https://www.ppc-online.com/blog/the...unused-ports-will-improve-network-performance

If you...

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that there is an electrical short somewhere. Or maybe a loop of some sort.

How many network devices?

How often does the problem occur?

Are you able to trace all of the Ethernet cable runs from the Sagemcom Modem-Router to each serviced device?

Look for signs of cable damage, other nearby wires of any sort, nails/staples, animal chews, kinks in the wire. crushed or pinched wire.

Inspect all connectors, LAN jacks/outlets.

If you cannot trace all of the wires then disconnect the devices one at a time and wait for a while. If the problem stops with one particular device then you at least know which cable path is involved.

Sketch out a diagram of the network layout to get the "big picture" look. Ensure that there are no loops in the network.

FYI

https://kb.netgear.com/000060475/What-is-a-network-loop

Agustin Lanus

Honorable
Jul 12, 2015
My thought is that there is an electrical short somewhere. Or maybe a loop of some sort.

Are you able to trace all of the Ethernet cable runs from the Sagemcom Modem-Router to each serviced device?

Look for signs of cable damage, other nearby wires of any sort, nails/staples, animal chews, kinks in the wire. crushed or pinched wire.

If you cannot trace all of the wires then disconnect the devices one at a time and wait for a while. If the problem stops with one particular device then you at least know which cable path is involved.

Sketch out a diagram of the network layout to get the "big picture" look. Ensure that there are no loops in the network.

FYI

https://kb.netgear.com/000060475/What-is-a-network-loop
My thought is that there is an electrical short somewhere.
Could an electrical short bypass the protection of an UPS? as of right now I can totally disconnect the ups from the power and the modem will still work

There are 2 pcs connected by cable and generally 3 phones on wifi

The amount of times it happens varies wildly every day, but the last few days I've had it restart easily 10-20 times per day

It may be my english but I'm not entirely sure what you mean here or how to answer you.

The ethernet cables going to my PC may be a little old at this point but both the modem and the big modem cable (coaxial?) are completely new.

They seem good to me, and I've also switched the one I was connected with a few times.

I'll try this later, now it's not a good time to disconnect my roomate.

It's a fairly small network and I'm not sure how I'd go about making the diagram but there was indeed a laptop connected in both cable and wifi which is now fixed

Also thanks for your answer! I'll make sure to try out all you've mentioned, also let me know if there's any other piece of information I can provide to you

Ralston18

Titan
By tracing the cable runs I mean follow each cable from end to end.

Do so safely - no climbing on roofs or through attic spaces, crawl spaces or any where else you are not comfortable going.

Idea being to physically inspect as much of the wire as safely as possible. It does not take much damage to cause problems. Just a drop of water penetrating into any sort of cable can cause problems. Corrosion and dirt in and on connectors can likewise cause problems.

Un-terminated coax cables could be a issue. The cables should be electrically terminated vs a dust cap that is all too often used instead.

FYI:

https://www.ppc-online.com/blog/the...unused-ports-will-improve-network-performance

If you have coax cables around there is a very good chance that there are various runs that end up just a a wire sticking out somewhere. Or maybe a open wall jack. Or a splitter somewhere: 1 cable in with 2,3 , or 4 cables out. Splitters for the most part are cheaply made and degrade/fail over time.

As for the cables (coax?) going to the modem router hopefully the technicians both checked that the correct coax cable was used and that the technician tested the coax.

Solution