Modem or Router?

Adam_222

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
Do I need a router or a cable modem or both to have excellent gaming experience. Also, I heard you need to do setup on the cable modem which sucks.

Solution

A modem or router is not what you need.
Do some research into powerline devices.

This is a pair of devices that will provide a mostly wired connection to your router. The singal is pumped through te house wiring.
One device plugs into the wall next to the house router. A short ethernet cable from the router to this powerline device.

At the other end, where your PC is...the other powerline device is plugged into the wall, and a short ethernet cable from that to your PC.

Something like this...

USAFRet

Titan

You need a modem and a router. 2 different functions.
Sometimes, these two functions are in the same physical box.

What is your ISP?
What type of connection do you have? DSL, cable, fiber...
How are you going to connect to the router? WiFi or ethernet cable?

USAFRet

Titan

OK...so I'm completely unsure of where you're going with your initial question.

Does it work?
Does it not work?
Is it sub par performance? If so, how did you determine this?

Adam_222

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
I mean i don't know the speed it should have but in league of legends i get 2000 ping and which is why i am asking this question. Also, for everyone else except for my sister, the wifi is fine. Maybe because we are on the other side of the house. OOPS i said ethernet i mean't wireless.

Adam_222

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
Sigh, I was just asking if i need a modem or a router or both for the best experience in gaming but i guess i didn't know about the Dsl and all this stuff. All I know is when I get better wifi I am connecting it to my computer and there.

USAFRet

Titan

A modem or router is not what you need.
Do some research into powerline devices.

This is a pair of devices that will provide a mostly wired connection to your router. The singal is pumped through te house wiring.
One device plugs into the wall next to the house router. A short ethernet cable from the router to this powerline device.

At the other end, where your PC is...the other powerline device is plugged into the wall, and a short ethernet cable from that to your PC.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-Mbps-Gigabit/dp/B00S6DBGJM

Ignore the "speeds-up to 1200Mbps" number. That is pure marketing.
But this will be far more stable than your current WiFi.

Solution