[SOLVED] Modem Question

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I am finally switching internet companies. I am needing a cable modem and they say it needs to be a Docsis 3. There are so many out there. Does the cable modem make a difference? I have never used one before so I'm kind of new to the cable modem stuff. Thanks.

Solution
So if you actually have no idea what to buy I would buy the arris linked above. Arris is the most common modem used in the USA and it tends to be on every ISP list.

You might want to consider renting a modem from the ISP for a month or two and then buy one exactly the same. Then again if you rent it they can never attempt to blame the modem for network problems when they are the ones that have to pay to replace it. In the long run it is cheaper to buy but some people just do not want to deal with any issues.
What speed plan are you buying from them? 60mbps, 150mbps, 300mbps, 1000mbps etc....?? This matter because the number of channels will dictate your top speed. If you only play on getting the lowest plan, then all you need is an 8 channel cable modem. Buying a more expensive one with channels you'll never use won't give you any higher speeds.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I doubt they will allow just ANY cable modem. They have to do the firmware upgrades and configurations. You seldom for example see huawei devices allowed in the USA and this was well before all the latest cell tower stuff.
Well, they keep telling me they have NO preference other than it has Docsis 3. So, I don't know what to tell you on that.

So if you actually have no idea what to buy I would buy the arris linked above. Arris is the most common modem used in the USA and it tends to be on every ISP list.

You might want to consider renting a modem from the ISP for a month or two and then buy one exactly the same. Then again if you rent it they can never attempt to blame the modem for network problems when they are the ones that have to pay to replace it. In the long run it is cheaper to buy but some people just do not want to deal with any issues.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution