Question Modem Recommendation for Xfinity Gigabit

hEEbyJeeBY

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
I live in a condo unit and the best available option is Xfinity unfortunately. I pay for their 1Gb plan (1Gb down 35Mb up). The internet works perfectly when I'm playing games or streaming youtube/netflix etc. But I have been trying to stream on twitch since last month and for the first 3 days it was perfect, no dropped frames or anything. Then all the sudden the bandwidth cuts out after not even an hour or two. I've called them to complain, best they could do was send a tech out, which he looked at everything and said everything looks great and there was nothing he could do. I have gone through troubleshooting with OBS (Open Broadcast Software) admins and they are 99% certain is the ISP. I have gone out to Fred Meyere and bought a new Cat5 ethernet. I've tried other ports on the back of the modem, I've run the bandwidth tests on my brothers PC in case it was a bad port on my motherboard. I've run out of many options other than buying a new modem. Any recommendations?

A new modem won't solve anything. You need to get the isp to recognize the problems you're having, so you need to document it. Try packetlosstest.com and the freeola line test (not speedtest) and let me know what the results are.

hEEbyJeeBY

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
I've run ping tests using cmd and pingplotter software, both show perfect speeds with 0% packetloss. It's only when I stream using OBS is when the speeds throttle.

Those tests alone are insufficient because late packets cause problems too. And yes those tests only check download. If you choose the 1080p option on packetlosstest.com, watch for late packets and on the freeola test look at the jitter.

hEEbyJeeBY

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
I tried the packetlosstest one first, and I can't adjust the sliders, they just keep going back to their max settings, and the website has the message saying the test is too high. As for the freeola one is giving 100% packet loss saying there may be a firewall but I have the firewalls turned off lol

hEEbyJeeBY

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
I ran the packetloss test on another browser, worked now. Showed 8999/9000 sent in 30 seconds and 0 recieved, but says 0% total packet loss with 100% late packets

Did you set packetlosstest to the 1080p setting? That's the one I use to find issues on my connections.

Sounds like you have some sort of software issue too as both tests shouldn't be saying that. Do you have any other device on your network you can use for testing?

gggplaya

Distinguished
Motorola MB8611 is the best modem right now because it has a 2.5gbe port wich helps future proof it a little. Actually xfinity gigabit plan is now 1200mbps, not 1000mbps.

Are you sure it's not the OBS software itself, perhaps try a different software for streaming to see if it's any better.

Wacabletech06

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
I live in a condo unit and the best available option is Xfinity unfortunately. I pay for their 1Gb plan (1Gb down 35Mb up). The internet works perfectly when I'm playing games or streaming youtube/netflix etc. But I have been trying to stream on twitch since last month and for the first 3 days it was perfect, no dropped frames or anything. Then all the sudden the bandwidth cuts out after not even an hour or two. I've called them to complain, best they could do was send a tech out, which he looked at everything and said everything looks great and there was nothing he could do. I have gone through troubleshooting with OBS (Open Broadcast Software) admins and they are 99% certain is the ISP. I have gone out to Fred Meyere and bought a new Cat5 ethernet. I've tried other ports on the back of the modem, I've run the bandwidth tests on my brothers PC in case it was a bad port on my motherboard. I've run out of many options other than buying a new modem. Any recommendations?
So you have your own modem currently? What makes you think its bad? What is your speed test showing? If only twitch is having a problem maybe its outside your house?

As to recommended modem I recommend the SB8200 or any modem with a broadcomm chipset and NOT intel because for 3 PUMA generations they have had a bug they claim they will fix but fail to deliver, ITs not super serious but it does affect gamers who are the people who found, flagged, and informed the world about it.

I need more info to help you though, what modem do you currently have and when twitch is cutting out do other apps fail too?

So you have your own modem currently? What makes you think its bad? What is your speed test showing? If only twitch is having a problem maybe its outside your house?

As to recommended modem I recommend the SB8200 or any modem with a broadcomm chipset and NOT intel because for 3 PUMA generations they have had a bug they claim they will fix but fail to deliver, ITs not super serious but it does affect gamers who are the people who found, flagged, and informed the world about it.

I need more info to help you though, what modem do you currently have and when twitch is cutting out do other apps fail too?
Puma scare is fake. I have 2x sb6190 that supposedly were affected by this but pass the dslreports puma test with flying colors and are on both ends of a latency sensitive link for year and only has had issues when the isps do, ie like any other modem would. And I bought one new and one used from someone freaked out by the puma scare and sold it to me cheap. Both have been flawless, so don't read the hype.

Beyond that OP is showing some odd behavior even with the supplied modem, which shouldn't have any issues, so I'm thinking it's just a configuration or something else local that's the issue, not the service or the modem.

Ralston18

Titan
Odd behavior indeed....

My thoughts and suggestions:

Reinstall Twitch.

Look in Task Scheduler for some other app being triggered when Twitch is or has been running. Or actually anything that gets launched after the computer has been running for "an hour or two". Could be some app trying to update, backup, or simply phone home. And failing....

= = = =

Also trace the wires.

By that I mean follow all of the cables and connections leading to your unit via the ISP connection that you are paying for. If you cannot account for all cables and splitters/filters then something is astray.

Being in a condo it could well be that someone has tapped into the ISP connection path somewhere.

Especially if you mentioned your upgrade to anyone. Very much doubt that the Xfinity tech spent time tracing wires to see where everything actually went. In all fairness, those techs are always being pushed to do more and generally must stay "on script".

hEEbyJeeBY

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
Just had a tech come and he looked at the wiring outside the unit and said that because the speeds are showing good on their end, he doesn't think rewiring the cables would make a difference. He basically suggested business class. As for the software (OBS) I've reinstalled it twice already and haven't seen it get better.

Ralston18

Titan
Going to Business Class is not going to solve a hardware/connection problem. There will still be a problem: one that you are paying more for but likely continuing to get lower performance anyway.

Wire tracing is not replacing wires.

Find out where every wire goes and sketch out the connections. Be sure to note any splitters (also called filters) that divide one incoming wire into 2,3, or 4 outgoing wires.

Splitters can and do fail. Sometimes a splitter may not be using all the outgoing ports. Unused ports need to be properly terminated with a terminator. Unfortunately many folks just use "dust cap".

FYI:

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/tip-terminate-unused-ports/

Upload stuff is very hard to test because most web sites only do download.....and that is what you typical user is doing anyway.

The second problem is video stream is different than most other traffic. You could for example upload a bunch of data to one of the many hosting sites. If it was a generic issue you would think that also would show the problem. The difference is video stream is a session that does upload over a very long period of time. I would try to eliminate your router if you can. If you have a seperate modem try to plug the pc directly into it. If it is a modem/router try to put it in bridge mode and test with the pc directly connected.

It still could be the software application and I don't know how you eliminate that.

hEEbyJeeBY

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
Yeah he already removed a splitter on the cable in the condo, not sure if there is an additional splitter from the room to the box outside though

hEEbyJeeBY

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
As for what I'm using now for a modem I just have the one Xfinity gives you with the 1Gb, not sure what it's called there is no indication of any brand names other than Xfinity at the top of it lol.

ASK THE COMMUNITY