[SOLVED] Modem/router causing my slow connection?

Aug 31, 2019
My apologies if this should be posted somewhere else. I just moved to a new state and I am using the same modem/router combo I have for the last several years. However, I’m not getting nearly the download speeds I probably should be. I have the Blast! Internet option from Xfinity which can get download speeds up to 250 mbps. I realize that’s maximum, but in several speed tests, I haven’t ever exceded 10 mbps.

I’m wondering if my modem and/or router are slowing me down, and if I should invest in new ones, especially since the wifi isn’t as good on one end of my place versus the other. Any thoughts on if these are the problem and I should move forward with something newer?

The modem is a Motorolo SURFboard SB6141
The router is a Zyxel NBG-419N

My wife works from home and uses the internet to telecommute in and any additional online work. We also are cord cutters, so we use it to stream a lot, besides general use from our phones and laptops. Also, I have several gaming consoles and a gaming computer I use to play online at times, but that takes up the least amount of my time.

kanewolf

Titan
Your SB6141 is maxed out with the Blast level service according to this page -- https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-xfinity-internet-service/#x-section-6 But you should be able to get 200Mbit. Your router on the other hand can't support more than 100 Mbit according to the specs. It only has 100Mbit wired ports.

You need a new router to get your paid for speeds. Look for a router that is labeled as an AC1900 router.

Reactions: stateheel
Solution