Modem/Router combo to switch in different room

Sep 5, 2018
Hello,
I recently switched over to a suddenlink modem/router and need help connecting my network switch to activate the Ethernet ports for the rooms in my home. The modem/router are in one room and the switch is in a closet with the wires for each room. My tech said all I had to do was plug in a cat 5 cable from the modem to the wall port and then I would be good but this isn't working. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
When a connection is achieve, the tiny LEDs light up, that's how u know there is something on the other end of that jack. If no light, that jack is dead or going somewhere else.
try testing the switch in the same room with a patch cable you know is working.

that keystone in the wall is running to another place. it's either in a patch panel or crimped. make sure the other side is going into the router.
if it's in a patch panel make sure you know what number it is. you may have to just trial error that part with no diagram.

if the switch is unmanaged it should be plugnplay. if it's managed there is the possibility it's not configured to bridge all ports or it has an ip conflict.

Sep 5, 2018

Thanks this is all that was needed to fix. Not sure how I was missing this the first time around but I am running smoothly now.