[SOLVED] Modem/router offered; should I 'upgrade'?

Jan 20, 2021
I changed my internet provider and they shipped me a new modem and a new router. I started using the connection with my existing modem / router and it is working just fine. Speednet confirmed the rate is ok with the packge they sold me.

I current have;
modem; ARRIS TM822G
router; NETGEAR 3400v3 802.11n

They sent me;
modem; THOMSON DCM475
router; SMART/RG SR516ac 802.11ac

I have 12-15 wi-fi devices. I am ok with my home wi-fi speed. I don't watch very HD videos. Possibly that the initial connecting time when streaming a video would benefit with 1300Mpbs (ac) instead of 300-600 (n).

My only concern is that older ones won't work with the new router; case in evidence my 2011 Withings WBS01 body scale which was designed on 802.11b/g 2.4Ghz. I have other old devices too. Would it connect with this new router? Any other compelling reason to spend time to change all this? TIA

kanewolf

Titan
I changed my internet provider and they shipped me a new modem and a new router. I started using the connection with my existing modem / router and it is working just fine. Speednet confirmed the rate is ok with the packge they sold me.

I current have;
modem; ARRIS TM822G
router; NETGEAR 3400v3 802.11n

They sent me;
modem; THOMSON DCM475
router; SMART/RG SR516ac 802.11ac

I have 12-15 wi-fi devices. I am ok with my home wi-fi speed. I don't watch very HD videos. Possibly that the initial connecting time when streaming a video would benefit with 1300Mpbs (ac) instead of 300-600 (n).

My only concern is that older ones won't work with the new router; case in evidence my 2011 Withings WBS01 body scale which was designed on 802.11b/g 2.4Ghz. I have other old devices too. Would it connect with this new router? Any other compelling reason to spend time to change all this? TIA
Unless you explicitly turn off the backward compatibility modes, the new AC router will continue to work with old standards.
Your performance may or may not change. Performance is a "lowest common denominator" between the router and the device. For example the WBS01 you mention will see no change. 5Ghz WIFI devices generally benefit from a newer router.

kanewolf

Titan
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Aside from the technology, there are two reasons from a marketing standpoint.
  1. The old equipment still belongs to your old provider,so technically they could request that you return them.
  2. If you have any technical problems, the only provider who will help you is the new one, and the only help they will provide is for THEIR (new) equipment.

Jan 20, 2021
There are a couple of options to check in your SR516AC interface -- https://support.nwtel.ca/hc/article_attachments/360073536972/sr516ac_user_manual.pdf
See PDF page 121 -- "Support 802.11n client only" and "802.11n protection"

Thanks for this clue. It suggests that b/g clients should work when the unit is used with default settings. However I didn't change a thing but will check it.

802.11n protection

Select whether to enable 802.11n and legacy clients to both work effectively on the network. Options are: l Auto: Provides maximum security but produces a noticeable impact on throughput. With this option, RTS/CTS behavior permits legacy clients to become aware of 802.11n transmit times, but decreases overall throughput. This is the default. l Off: Provides better throughput.

Support 802.11n client only

Select whether to restrict 802.11b/g clients from accessing the gateway. Options are On and Off. The default is Off.

Latest posts