[SOLVED] Modem/Router recommendations ?

May 10, 2021
Suggestions on a good router and modem to use for gaming and streaming with about 6 or 7 devices? I kinda know what I'm looking at with the routers but not sure on the modem since I never had to bother purchasing my own. I'm finally getting a connection at my house and don't want to rent from the provider. Amazon.com: ASUS AX5700 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX86U) this is what I am looking at router wise right now but not dead set on it either.

Solution
That is a very stupid thing for them to say......unless you are talking about a older slow DSL connection.

Things like cable modems and especially modems that take fiber connections the cable company is responsible for any firmware updates. Even the most popular cable modem you can not actually update the firmware yourself.

If you could run any cable modem you could get bugged or hacked firmware that might cause issues for other customers on their network. A example would be huawai modem tend to not be supported in the USA even though there is no technical reason. Mostly it is they do not want to pay money to hire staff to support it.

As far as a router goes do not get sucked into the hype. Wifi6 was pretty much outdated by...

kanewolf

Titan
Suggestions on a good router and modem to use for gaming and streaming with about 6 or 7 devices? I kinda know what I'm looking at with the routers but not sure on the modem since I never had to bother purchasing my own. I'm finally getting a connection at my house and don't want to rent from the provider. Amazon.com: ASUS AX5700 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX86U) this is what I am looking at router wise right now but not dead set on it either.
The recommendation is to get the list of approved modems from your ISP. They are the ones that choose what is allowed.

Reactions: Rushnet
That is a very stupid thing for them to say......unless you are talking about a older slow DSL connection.

Things like cable modems and especially modems that take fiber connections the cable company is responsible for any firmware updates. Even the most popular cable modem you can not actually update the firmware yourself.

If you could run any cable modem you could get bugged or hacked firmware that might cause issues for other customers on their network. A example would be huawai modem tend to not be supported in the USA even though there is no technical reason. Mostly it is they do not want to pay money to hire staff to support it.

As far as a router goes do not get sucked into the hype. Wifi6 was pretty much outdated by wifi6e less than 6 months after it was released. Many end devices do not fully support things like 160mhz radio bands so wifi6 provides little advantage.

A so called "gaming" router is another hype word for people who do not even go to forums like this to learn anything. It is so silly on a router also has things like a 2.5gbit port or really fast wifi. This is all related to choosing gaming traffic over other traffic. The problem is when you have a really fast internet
connection you never have to choose which traffic goes first because data is never placed into a queue. On a slower connection under 100mbps like on DSL you can overload the connection by say watching too much netflix but then you can never use the fast wifi or 2.5 ports anyway.
What is even worse is if you actually need a router that can do data prioritization none of these so called "gamining" routers actually supports the type of QoS that function well. You have to load third party firmware and if you have a really fast connection you have to use something with a real CPU like a PC as your router.

So if you really want to chase new technology buy wifi6e. Other wise I would buy some cheaper 802.11ac with a number under 1900 with the idea you are going to replace it in a year or so with wifi6e when the prices are better and more end devices actually support it.

Solution
May 10, 2021

As far as a router goes do not get sucked into the hype. Wifi6 was pretty much outdated by wifi6e less than 6 months after it was released. Many end devices do not fully support things like 160mhz radio bands so wifi6 provides little advantage.

A so called "gaming" router is another hype word for people who do not even go to forums like this to learn anything. It is so silly on a router also has things like a 2.5gbit port or really fast wifi. This is all related to choosing gaming traffic over other traffic. The problem is when you have a really fast internet
connection you never have to choose which traffic goes first because data is never placed into a queue. On a slower connection under 100mbps like on DSL you can overload the connection by say watching too much netflix but then you can never use the fast wifi or 2.5 ports anyway.
What is even worse is if you actually need a router that can do data prioritization none of these so called "gamining" routers actually supports the type of QoS that function well. You have to load third party firmware and if you have a really fast connection you have to use something with a real CPU like a PC as your router.

So if you really want to chase new technology buy wifi6e. Other wise I would buy some cheaper 802.11ac with a number under 1900 with the idea you are going to replace it in a year or so with wifi6e when the prices are better and more end devices actually support it.
Thank You! This is why I come here to ask the silly questions, so I can learn. I appreciate your response.

So this is the link the ISP should have given you. You still need to do all the work though because the exact details vary a lot between cities and even within a city sometime. Some of these systems they acquired when they purchased another ISP.

May 10, 2021
So this is the link the ISP should have given you. You still need to do all the work though because the exact details vary a lot between cities and even within a city sometime. Some of these systems they acquired when they purchased another ISP.
alright I will go through it and figure it out then