Question Modem Speed Confusion

holmesc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
Hello, i've recently purchased a internet speed up to 800mbps download speed and have realized i'm only able to reach 200mbps download speed. I checked my modem/router and i'm confused when it says it supports up to speeds of 1600mbps wifi and up to 343 MBPS. Does that mean it supports a bandwidth of up to 1600mbps as a collective? And only supports up to 343 MBPS for internet speeds? Even then, is it normal to be 100mbps short of what's promised?

The modem i'm using is an 'ARRIS AC1600'

Also I'm using a cat 7 ethernet cable.

Hello, i've recently purchased a internet speed up to 800mbps download speed and have realized i'm only able to reach 200mbps download speed. I checked my modem/router and i'm confused when it says it supports up to speeds of 1600mbps wifi and up to 343 MBPS. Does that mean it supports a bandwidth of up to 1600mbps as a collective? And only supports up to 343 MBPS for internet speeds? Even then, is it normal to be 100mbps short of what's promised?

The modem i'm using is an 'ARRIS AC1600'

Also I'm using a cat 7 ethernet cable.
16x4 Channel Bonding to maximize your Cable ISP service offerings. APPROVED for plans up to 300 Mbps. Supports IPv4 and IPv6 – the latest Internet standard

from specs, thats your problem, right there

thats your maximum internet speed you can get....the other parameters for wifi/lan are for local network speed, like moving file from one pc connected to wifi to another connected to lan...local connection speed is way faster then your internet connection

since you pay for higher data plan then your modem supports, then you gonna need to either reduce data plan or switch to supported docsis 3.x modem capable of reaching atleast 1gbit over cable

holmesc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
16x4 Channel Bonding to maximize your Cable ISP service offerings. APPROVED for plans up to 300 Mbps. Supports IPv4 and IPv6 – the latest Internet standard

from specs, thats your problem, right there

thats your maximum internet speed you can get....the other parameters for wifi/lan are for local network speed, like moving file from one pc connected to wifi to another connected to lan...local connection speed is way faster then your internet connection

since you pay for higher data plan then your modem supports, then you gonna need to either reduce data plan or switch to supported docsis 3.x modem capable of reaching atleast 1gbit over cable

Alright, thanks a bunch. I guess they know how to market it on the box for dummies like me. Time for an modem upgrade..

Alright, thanks a bunch. I guess they know how to market it on the box for dummies like me. Time for an modem upgrade..
here found speed table for channel bonding under docsis 3.0
4x4 - 152 Mbit/s down, 108 Mbit/s up
8x4 - 304 Mbit/s down, 108 Mbit/s up
16x4 - 608 Mbit/s down, 108 Mbit/s up
24x8 - 912 Mbit/s down, 216 Mbit/s up
32x8 - 1216 Mbit/s down, 216 Mbit/s up

you could probably get 3.1 or 4.0 docsis modem, they are backward compatible, but 24x8 channels are minimum you need