Question Modem to OnQ

Aug 14, 2019
I hope I'm in the right area.

My house is fairly new and wired with Cat5e but I have DSL and i'm at the far end from the ISP hub.

I want to move my modem closer to the NID to see if it helps as well as get the modem centrally located.

I have 2 cables coming from NID to the 1x6 OnQ module in the attic. 1 line goes to LINE IN and 2 is going to alarm system.

I want to put the modem next to the OnQ but don't know how to connect the two.

Hope that makes a little sense.

The modem doesn't need to be anywhere in particular, where there is a phone line, it will work, but typically at the CAT5's junction. Junction=where all the CAT5 converge.

The WIFI router (your broadcast tower) is the box that needs to be centrally located. You did not disclose whether you have a modem+WIFI router combo box.

Lets say you want to place modem in Room#1, it has a CAT5 outlet but no phone line, the CAT5 outlet can be used as a phone line, AS LONG AS the other end of that CAT5 can be patched to a phone outlet.

Is all very simple really, whatever u do, you must maintain this topology:

ISP ---(phone line/CAT5)---> DSL modem ---(CAT5)--->WIFI router ----(CAT5)---> Ethernet Switch ----(CAT5) ----> Rooms.

Aug 14, 2019
The modem doesn't need to be anywhere in particular, where there is a phone line, it will work, but typically at the CAT5's junction. Junction=where all the CAT5 converge.

The WIFI router (your broadcast tower) is the box that needs to be centrally located. You did not disclose whether you have a modem+WIFI router combo box.

Lets say you want to place modem in Room#1, it has a CAT5 outlet but no phone line, the CAT5 outlet can be used as a phone line, AS LONG AS the other end of that CAT5 can be patched to a phone outlet.

Is all very simple really, whatever u do, you must maintain this topology:

ISP ---(phone line/CAT5)---> DSL modem ---(CAT5)--->WIFI router ----(CAT5)---> Ethernet Switch ----(CAT5) ----> Rooms.