xtacace

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi Everyone!

I'll get right to it. My internet stopped working suddenly. Here are the symptoms, it seems like whenever I connect my Modem to my router then to my computer, it can't get any internet but when I connect my modem directly to my computer. I am able to access the internet, and that's what I am doing right now to look for answers.

Router: D-Link DIR-600
Modem (provided by my ISP): Cisco DPQ2160

Things I've Tried:

• Contacted my ISP to check, they say that there's no problem
  • Did a factory reset on both modem and router via reset button behind the hardware
  • Tried to switch ethernet cables
  • Turned both of them off for 30 mins
  • Tried doing a firmware update for the router

Furthermore, on my D-Link router when it is connected to the modem, the Internet LED light just beside the power switch is "Orange" which is usually "Green", also along with that even if the WLAN LED for D-Link lights up "Green" still no internet. And I guess because the Internet LED light is "Orange".
On my Cisco modem, all of the led lights light up solid green. One thing I've noticed as well is, when my modem is plugged into my router then I try to do a reset on the modem, upon boot of the modem the Internet LED Light on the D-Link Router would turn "Green" then once the modem is back up with all the led lights lit up, it would turn back to "Orange". I haven't tried another router yet since I don't have a spare, I just wanted to check with you guys before I buy a new router. Because I am quite convinced now that it may be a router problem I'm just no really sure why so sudden. Apologies if there are any typos or grammatical error as English is not my first language. Thanks

Solution
With internet being so vital to most people these days (and that definitely includes me), I always keep a spare router in my cupboard so I can do a quick swap to test if current one is faulty. There really is no better or quicker way to find out for sure, can save hours of messing about and head scratching. As for it happening suddenly, well that's the nature of consumer-level network equipment.

I agree. I had it working it seems that for some reason the MAC address on the router is deleted. I'm not really sure how or why, but before upon reset it always automatically clones it with what is my current MAC Address, furthermore it is set to static IP instead of DHCP. Anyway, I'll be sure to buy a spare one when I get the chance...
With internet being so vital to most people these days (and that definitely includes me), I always keep a spare router in my cupboard so I can do a quick swap to test if current one is faulty. There really is no better or quicker way to find out for sure, can save hours of messing about and head scratching. As for it happening suddenly, well that's the nature of consumer-level network equipment.

xtacace

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

I agree. I had it working it seems that for some reason the MAC address on the router is deleted. I'm not really sure how or why, but before upon reset it always automatically clones it with what is my current MAC Address, furthermore it is set to static IP instead of DHCP. Anyway, I'll be sure to buy a spare one when I get the chance just in case this happens, being that the router itself is almost 10 years old, bought it in 2009 or 2010 can't really remember now. Thanks!

Solution