Question Modem with two routers ?

Mar 17, 2024
Hi all. My home has multi ethernet ports connected in star to my isp modem. I already have two routers with two differents SSIDs to have the wifi in all my house. but I don't have connection between these two routers, and when I am connected to one router I can't access the devices connected to the other one (my NAS server). How can I configure that ?

Your problem is you have more than one router. Since some of the connection between the routers must pass through the wan port you can not connect for the same reason you can not connect to your lan machine from the internet.

You really only want 1 router in your house. What you are calling a modem from the ISP is also likely a router. You only get a single IP address from a ISP. If the device was actually just a modem only you could connect only 1 device to it. If you connect your 2 routers only 1 would get a IP. Since it works that means the ISP device is most likely a modem and router in the same box.

The best solution is to run your other routers as AP instead. This basically means they run as simple switches with wifi radios the router part of the device is not used. You can use the same or different SSID it is all the same network no matter what wifi name you put on it. Most modern routers have ap/bridge mode. In most cases they just work but in some you must set the lan ip to no conflict with the main router. If the main router for example users 192.168.0.1 your APs must use something different. Techncially it needs to be outside the DHCP pool on the main router but you can generally use high IP like 192.168.0.250. Do not go above 253 but you can go lower.