Modem won't pick up

conquistadorst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I find this a very odd problem, for some reason my modem will never pick up when someone is calling (ie when im playing a game and I have my computer set to answer...) It can dial and connect perfectly fine--hence why im able to write this question on this page... I called up a friend to see if the modem property settings were all right, and they were--completely. This has happened with two different computers of mine at two different locations, and two different operating systems (95&98SE), I even tried formatting a few times with diff. OS's to see if that would help, so I really dont have a clue on whats going on, suggestions anybody???

conquistadorst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt its hyperterminal, if i remember correctly hyper terminal was something totally different, but i may be wrong. the actual windows is labeled "Modem Connection" this must be the standard program used by games that are going to play over the modem, b/c i checked and quite a bit of other games use this format (ie AOE, AOE2, JediKnight).

Zyphoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well not knowing the type of modem you are using did you check your init string to see if it is set to auto answer. It might need an AT command something like AT S0=1 or something like that . Try it in hyperterminal if you get an ok have a friend call and it should answer on th first or second ring.

If the fat lady's singing at least shes losing weight.