[SOLVED] MODEMS help me pls

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
I have had the same modem for a very long time. It's the little Netgear in white & slightly bigger than a hockey puck, It doesn't have a router or wi fi I think I paid $30 for it DM111PSP ADSL2+ Broadband Modem.
I think it's starting to fail.
So I went looking for a replacement. I can't seem to find one.

All the modems I've found are not just modems They do other things I don't need.
Talk about sticker shock
$300 for a modem? What's up with that? I don't need a modem / router/ wi fi / bust stop/ gas station.
I don't need wifi My current Router is an ASUS AC 2400 It's doing fine.
The service provider is Century Link.
The OS is Lunux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Got any suggestions?

Solution
I am not sure why finding just a dsl modem is so hard. There must be very little demand for it or maybe there is no real cost difference to produce.

Since you do not need the router part just buy a very inexpensive router with a dsl modem. A older 802.11n with even a 300 number will be fine for a dsl connection.

It is highly likely if the device also says it support ADSL2+ like your current modem it will function. Most the modern dsl equipment seem to work on all the forms of dsl even VDSL.

Still you need to check the ISP site. What you are mostly looking for is a list of devices that they say they support. Key will be if they have some restriction that those are the only ones allowed or if they are just examples of...

Ralston18

Titan
The usual home network configuration is generally (line diagram):

ISP === (DSL, Coax, Fiber) === > Modem -----> [WAN]Router[LAN Ports] -----> wired home network computers and devices. And ---->represents an Ethernet cable.

Noted: no WIFI ~~~~> needed.

Sometimes the modem and router may be combined.

Many ISP's provide a modem, a router, or a combined device. Most likely for some additional monthly cost. And you may have some choice. Depends on the ISP.

It may be difficult to find a modem, router, or modem router without wireless capabilities. However, most such devices allow the end user to disable unneeded or unwanted functions.

Start with Century Link: Whatever devices (in your case a modem) you eventually chose must be supported by Century Link. Whether they provide the device or not.

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/compatible-modems.html

Their list may include some less expensive and/or more acceptable (to you) basic modems.

Installing an unsupported device simply allows the ISP to say that any given problem is on your side of the network - not theirs....

Depending on circumstances, if you are fortunate to have ISP choices, consider another ISP.

However, you will still need to adhere to their list of supported devices - which may or may not be more expensive or acceptable.

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Depending on circumstances, if you are fortunate to have ISP choices, consider another ISP.

Thanks. I've considered HughesNet they are so much faster than broadband and I think they'd dropped the part where they ding you with slow speeds after a certain megabytes per month. But for choices There's cable which I won't touchm and not much else.

I am not sure why finding just a dsl modem is so hard. There must be very little demand for it or maybe there is no real cost difference to produce.

Since you do not need the router part just buy a very inexpensive router with a dsl modem. A older 802.11n with even a 300 number will be fine for a dsl connection.

It is highly likely if the device also says it support ADSL2+ like your current modem it will function. Most the modern dsl equipment seem to work on all the forms of dsl even VDSL.

Still you need to check the ISP site. What you are mostly looking for is a list of devices that they say they support. Key will be if they have some restriction that those are the only ones allowed or if they are just examples of devices that work.

You likely will not be happy with hughesnet. The latency is still very high to that kind of satellite. I guess it depends if you play online games or not.

Solution