[SOLVED] Moderate budget first PC build home office workstation

Nov 11, 2019
Hello,

Please recommend as I am trying my first PC build for a home / office desktop / workstation.
Below are some of my requirements:

1. Absolutely zero interest in gaming.
  2. Lowest possible power intake (not trying to build a server that shoots up my electric bill)
  3. Should be very quiet
  4. Moderate budget which can be increased if justified ($1000 +-) Price does not include monitor or OS
  5. Thinking 64GB RAM
  6. Atleast 4GB storage (combination of SS & disk)
  7. Strong preference for a case that is not big in size.
  8. Hopefully parts that are not too old generation and a system that is upgradeable in the future.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

Please recommend as I am trying my first PC build for a home / office desktop / workstation.

2. Lowest possible power intake (not trying to build a server that shoots up my electric bill)
  3. Should be very quiet
  4. Moderate budget which can be increased if justified ($1000 +-) Price does not include monitor or OS
  5. Thinking 64GB RAM
  8. Hopefully parts that are not too old generation and a system that is upgradeable in the future.
Thanks in advance.
:unsure:
Thinking 64GB RAM?

You would want Threadripper/Xeon for that. The...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Hello,

3. Should be very quiet
  5. Thinking 64GB RAM
Thanks in advance.
Thinking 64GB RAM?

You would want Threadripper/Xeon for that. The amount of software that can use above 32 GB of RAM is pretty limited.

Atleast 4GB storage (combination of SS & disk)

Did you mean 4 Terrabytes because 4GB is nothing?

Hopefully parts that are not too old generation and a system that is upgradeable in the future

Technically anything you buy now will be "The olds stuff" next year, AMD and Intel both are releasing new platforms and new CPUs starting in 2020. You do have good options for what is out now so it's not like they are going to be completely left behind.

What software packages are you planning on using? This should dictate where to start the system specs.

Solution
Nov 11, 2019
Thinking 64GB RAM?

You would want Threadripper/Xeon for that. The amount of software that can use above 32 GB of RAM is pretty limited.

Atleast 4GB storage (combination of SS & disk)

Did you mean 4 Terrabytes because 4GB is nothing?

Hopefully parts that are not too old generation and a system that is upgradeable in the future

Technically anything you buy now will be "The olds stuff" next year, AMD and Intel both are releasing new platforms and new CPUs starting in 2020. You do have good options for what is out now so it's not like they are going to be completely left behind.

What software packages are you planning on using? This should dictate where to start the system specs.

1. 32 Gb is ok. I said 64gb just for future proofing.
  2. Yes 4TB....typo
  3. System is for big data type applications. Need large storage. Also need to run analytics visualization type software based on this data (hence good RAM).
Thank you