Discussion Moderator tone / etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hi guys,

A moderator seemed to have no problem with my post by their helpful response. But they followed up with a direct private messages, a rather dramatic response and then another with threatening tone, as if to assert their power over me if I would like to continue participating in the community.

This was my first post. I was wondering if the forum has become a private club with requiring fraternal initiation.

Rather than rendering assistance to a reader and forum participant, the reply was provoking. The moderator failed to answer my questions, about their starting a private conversation simply with “Are you trying to be funny?”.

Just thought I’d let the community know how I feel and what is going on since my return to tom’s hardware forums.

Last time I was active was years ago. Many of my posts and responses were followed up with terse incomplete replies from a user always saying “... Thanks, Brett.”

Its rare to get the website’s complete list of current news articles and forum posts from the across my internets.

I look forward to helping where I can, but the reality is computer land is a mess and no one wants to talk about real problem sources and solutions.

Thanks!

jrazor247

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just my two cents (I was not involved in this thread or replies) but you sound like you are asking for respect here. We are always respectful when respect is given back.

You posted a fairly comprehensive question that seemed as if you understand your issue and the jargon related to it. You got a detailed response, and then responded with a goofy joke saying that you don't understand?

If I took the time to reply to you I'd be annoyed by a reply like that too.

You get what you give. If someone takes the time to reply to you, answering them back (especially if you don't understand) about WHY you don't understand is the minimum of respect you can give someone, a volunteer, helping you for FREE.

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
What a coincidence, the term “jargon” was in the private conversation, which failed to explain the term “trolling” to me. This word is from European mythology. What does it mean in here? The question is still unanswered.

Hopefully the forums are not becoming an orchestrated presentation with moderators colluding in private.

Implied also is that there is limit to the quality or knowledge of responses unless paid. This is what degraded Linux discussions and enthusiasm, and many many other PC and tech products.

Any English speaking person or advanced AI would find some replies not relevant or logical given the common knowledge of expected of tech enthusiasts and especially moderators.

It is not necessary for moderators to be experts in anything but etiquette and common tech enthusiast knowledge.

Remember, this is a world where everything on the internet is recorded for our future bosses.

Thanks,

jrazor247

Some moderators are more lenient than others. I have found this out myself...

My opinion:
Generally try to be specific about your responses. I dont really see that you did anything very wrong, but your responses certainly didnt help others.

I would be unhappy if i spent a lot of time to help you and you just respond with a joke. I dont think that merits any pms or threats of action, but some moderators here are very strict. Most however wouldnt be that mean about it.

Reactions: DMAN999

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
What a coincidence, the term “jargon” was in the private conversation, which failed to explain the term “trolling” to me. This word is from European mythology. What does it mean in here? The question is still unanswered.

Hopefully the forums are not becoming an orchestrated presentation with moderators colluding in private.

Implied also is that there is limit to the quality or knowledge of responses unless paid. This is what degraded Linux discussions and enthusiasm, and many many other PC and tech products.

Any English speaking person or advanced AI would find some replies not relevant or logical given the common knowledge of expected of tech enthusiasts and especially moderators.

It is not necessary for moderators to be experts in anything but etiquette and common tech enthusiast knowledge.

Remember, this is a world where everything on the internet is recorded for our future bosses.

Thanks,

jrazor247

Thanks for your response. Its become abundantly clear that we are not dealing with someone looking for respect, but instead someone looking for a problem.

Note that you have non moderators both here and in your thread pointing out how your responses sound. In addition, there is no implication to the quality of responses unless paid. Read the sentence again. You have people spending THEIR time helping YOU, when they could be doing something else, so its costing them THEIR time, and costing YOU nothing.

As for your questions, for the record of our future bosses of course:

Definition of Trolling

And finally moderators do converse with each other regularly regarding the goings on in the forum. But no, I am not privy to the entire conversation you had, nor was I asked to join in here. I happened to come across the thread, and noticed that despite someone pointing out the post you made, no response was given, so I added my personal two cents after reading a thread where your responses 100% sounded disrespectful and troll-like.

Before preaching to us about etiquette and what is or isn't recorded, I suggest looking in the mirror.

If you do feel that you have been wronged, of course feel free to contact our community managers @Johnny5 or @shaines and they would be happy to review the issue with you.

Reactions: DMAN999

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
This appears to be a case where one of my favorite quotations applies:

You wouldn't recognize your own reflection in a mirror.

How it applies in this case I leave as an exercise to the readership.

Status
Not open for further replies.