Modern CPU Instructions

LGA 775 processors are lacking some modern instructions, such as AVX. I always feel people always neglect the instructions of a processor over the performance of a chip. I believe LGA 775 still performs well in gaming and general use - as long as it has the instructions capable of completing the task.

Are there any modern instructions LGA 1155 processors are lacking? Meaning - besides the speed of the processor and it's ability to complete a task quickly - are there any actual tasks it cannot do?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Are there any modern instructions LGA 1155 processors are lacking? Meaning - besides the speed of the processor and it's ability to complete a task quickly - are there any actual tasks it cannot do?
LGA 1155 CPUs lack AVX2. Not that AVX2 instructions are at all common in normal use from what I know.

It's missing a few other things like TSX-NI instructions, Intel SGX (which is related to security and DRM, I think it might be required to stream Netflix 4K).
https://ark.intel.com/compare/186605,65523

In general, there isn't much that an LGA 1155 can't do compared to a modern CPU, it just does it slower.

If you get a Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6800 (which is one of the best LGA 775 chips) and play some modern games such as GTA V, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3 (All games I tested) with a 1050 ti - it can and should run at a stable 30 FPS on ultra quality settings. Which could be had for around $100 if you know where to look. Again - this isn't about the power of the processor but more so the tasks it can perform - no matter how slowly.

You seem to be confused with the question. I own two LGA 775 systems and a LGA 1155 system and a LGA 1151 system. I'm not looking to buy, I'm just curious because I haven't found something that a LGA 1155 system can't do. (I have a 3700K overclocked to 4.7 GHz)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
LGA 1155 CPUs lack AVX2. Not that AVX2 instructions are at all common in normal use from what I know.

It's missing a few other things like TSX-NI instructions, Intel SGX (which is related to security and DRM, I think it might be required to stream Netflix 4K).
https://ark.intel.com/compare/186605,65523

In general, there isn't much that an LGA 1155 can't do compared to a modern CPU, it just does it slower.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's because Intel CPUs haven't changed significantly from one generation to the next since Sandy Bridge, with only small improvements to IPC and/or clock speed. Which means that many people who bought a 2500K or better still find their CPU 'good enough' for most of today's tasks. Ryzen and Intel 8th gen finally changed that by bringing increased core counts into the mainstream.

If you overclock the Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9770 to about 3.7 GHz, it performs somewhere between i3 and i5 processors. And if you overclock the i7-3770K to around 4.7 GHz, it performs almost well enough to be considered mainstream. I've always noticed how easily you can bridge gaps between generations - but I've never looked into the instructions of the processors themselves. Can the same be said for the AMD side?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
A Q9770 would be below a current i3, even OC'd to 3.7 GHz.

AMD CPUs kind of sucked for a number of years until Ryzen came along. Again, there probably isn't much that older AMD chips *can't* do, but they're pretty slow (slower than contemporaneous Intel CPUs).

I was talking specifically about gaming applications with the overclocked processors - sorry I didn't elaborate. And I have a few friends that *claim* AMD is better than intel is, but in my opinion, one seems to be better than the other for a bit - then the other takes the lead.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming or otherwise, there's no task where a Q9770 at 3.7 GHz is going to perform better than—or even on par with—a current Intel i3, let alone an i5.

I'd say Intel and AMD are roughly evenly matched at the moment, with either having an advantage in different scenarios. AMD seems to offer a bit better value for money at the moment though.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
In most games the i3 would still win due to it's single core performance being a bit better. The modern i3s are quad-core that's why they're always better now (though honestly a 2c4t one from skylake up still would be)

But you can buy my 3350p for like $20 on ebay and beat it always as well