Modern motherboard for Windows XP

bama_boy_2f2f

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
So i want to build a Windows XP machine for playing old video games, such as Max Payne, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Harry Potter games and so on and so forth (I miss them so much).
The thing is I want to go all new: new motherboard, new ram modules, new gpu etc, because I am afraid of buying old components that may break in the near future.
I searched online and found this motherboard: https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=711
This thing any good? I searched and saw that it has Windows XP drivers and it should be convenient. But then again, it has a UEFI bios, that seems to be a problem with older OS, such as Win XP.
What do you guys think? Is there another mobo good enough or should I go with this one?

You aren't going to be playing games with that cpu. Even back when that was new it was pretty bad and couldn't even play old games well. What I recommend you do is go to ebay and buy some random core 2 quad or at most a second gen I5 system. Add a new psu and then add a compatible gpu.

bama_boy_2f2f

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Oh I see, thanks for the info. I thought it couldn't be more terrible than my Athlon Xp 2200+ that I used to own back in the day (played all the above mentioned games on that Athlon, gave it h3ll). Isn't Core 2 Quad too overkill? A single/dual core CPU is sufficient for that kind of games, right?
How about this mobo?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i65G/
I actually found some new ones at an online store in my country.

Unless it's 5$ don't even bother. That board has been sitting in a box for 10years or more the chances of it having broken components simply due to not being used is there. Also good luck finding a pentium d or 4, ddr2,... new. A whole pentium d system can be had used for 15$ easily.

Yes a core 2 quad is overkill. But would you rather have an overkill system that runs everything wonderfully or a weak system that is just enough to play the games?

bama_boy_2f2f

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Got it. I abandoned the new 'old' motherboard idea. Will look more into lga 775 systems. The only thing that worries me is the capacitors from old mobos. Can't really say how much lifespan they have, so it is really a gamble. I guess solid caps all the way.

bama_boy_2f2f

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Thanks, I will look into those as well.

I have a dell optilex 390 I use for retro stuff and have had other ones break 2 times (granted the first one was literally found outside covered in dirt and stuff so yeah not the greatest condition). Just went on ebay and got a rando new one for 20€ slapped in the upgraded cpu of the old one and gpu. Added the old hdd, reactivated windows and I was good again for a couple of years until I spilled water on it. Then did the exact same thing again and it's been running fine for 2 years now.

That's the advantage of buying old mass produced systems. If it dies there are thousands to replace it for cheap

TRENDING THREADS