Modern Warfare 2 PC: No Dedicated Servers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I just don't get you Activision, MW is one of the major PC games that isn't affected by piracy in the sales department, and you pull a stunt like this? I'm passing on this one, and I was rather excited. =[

ilockitdown

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Unacceptable Infinity Ward. I had COD4 for my PS3, then after purchasing my friend's PC version of off him, I had a blast with it (custom maps, mods, m/kb, smoother/better graphics).

I guess I'm going to be spending my money I put aside for COD somewhere else (Borderlands?).

illegalnaut

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
borderlands it is, i was really looking forward to this game, but 60 for a single player experience only isnt worth it. why change what was such a huge hit and risk this. doesnt make sense

gurevicha

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I've been a fan of the franchise for a long time and it really saddens me how quality of the games is constantly being slammed as a result of greed a more number in the EOQ. I was actually looking forward for IW to develop this game since COD5 sucked so much and was expected to. Striving towards lower standards is not the way to gain peoples trust and interest in your product.

I told my friend this morning: "IW has fucked with me for the last time. I will be torrenting this game to show my displeasure at paying $70 for a product that is not feature-complete and takes a step back from CoD:WaW and MW. So IW can go screw themselves over again, because they ain't getting a penny of my money."

Which in essence is what I still feel right now. I love being known in my WaW server. IW cannot take that away from me.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
what a dire miscalculation. you cant assume because console gamers are ok with the lack of private servers that you will get the same reception from pc gamers. totally different audience. if you want to shit on a entire community, expect to lose money. i sure hope word gets spread about this so they reconsider their stupidity.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]I just don't get you Activision, MW is one of the major PC games that isn't affected by piracy in the sales department, and you pull a stunt like this? I'm passing on this one, and I was rather excited. =[[/citation]

actually, CoD4 was one of the highest pirated game since its release... so def. Activision is worried.

I don't like this change but not enough to justify a boycott so I'm keeping my order.

Actually, I spoke to my friend who works at my local EBGames and she told me that out of all the preorders, the PS3 version had the most preorders. Which means that the PC isn't the leading platform (but this is only basing data from only one store).

deltatux

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
whatever, hackers will make their own. bit sad they have to do IW job for them tho. between this and starcraft 2, maybe I'll just stop buying games all together, then lets see how much money they make from all of their new methods of control! Thank you Consoles and Apple for ruining our world!

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Really disappointed about this. This was one of the only games I was going to consider buying (now that I'm married I don't get to buy every game I fancy). Now there is no chance of me buying this game. I can't imagine wanting to play an online FPS without dedicated servers provided by the community. Also, matchmaking would just be so crummy when you live in Japan, and play the English language version, it would be really great to no be able to find a game, or be put up as a host because of fast connection and then have everyone quit because their ping sucks. . .

Sigh

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom] Sorry for the all caps, I was really pissed.[/citation]

Dude, this is EXACTLY the situation that all caps was intended. Rock on.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
guess i'm not buying this game. I hate getting tossed into games with... well tossers.

There's a serious social need for dedicated and sometimes passworded ser\/ers where peers can decide who they play with.

G

WTF????? I think that this is just a way to say we hate you pc players.
Dear IW,
You are a bunch of Morons.
Have fun selling the pc version. :)

brett_monkey

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Thank you for making this a front page story. The news really needs to get out about this huge mistake. No dedicated servers, what the heck.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I will say that I used to pirate software but several months ago I got convicted of it and removed all pirated software, including Windows. I have begun buying legitimate copies of all of my software since then and was really looking forward to making Modern Warfare 2 my first legitimately purchased game but now I doubt that I will ever play it until they make a change of heart. I hope you are happy Activision, you just lost $50 from a former pirate who wanted to support your developers.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'm going to continue my rant. COD series has always been about the awesome multiplayer experience. Without that, COD single player isn't that fun. It's too linear which causes me to get bored easily. I played through the story line on COD 1, 2 and 4 a few times, but the hours spent in multiplayer is greater than all other games I have played combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.