Modern Warfare 2 PC: No Dedicated Servers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They should continue to spit on the PC market, the hand that feed them with their numerous rehashed CoD games. Seriously, I didn't even plan on buying the game, but what is bothering me is the consolisation of the PC game standards.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
This is pretty depressing, I was seriously looking forward to this game since I prefered cod4's style over cod wow.

Damn, every month we have to be dealt some mental blow from some idiot company taking away an obviously important feature.
Next thing you know their gona manage to f##k up punk buster even more so than it already is -.-

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]gives me another reason to skip this game...that and fricken punkbuster never works right. Looks like TF2 and CS:S will be providing my team based multiplayer fps needs for a long time coming[/citation]

Just for the record they are getting rid of punkbuster as well and trading it for VAC. Just like CS:S, TF2, etc, There are so many good games on my list for this winter's releases that i just wont but COD:MW2. God of war 3, assasin's creed 2, left 4 dead 2, inversion just to name a few...

ovenbuster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
According to Amazon it'll be $60 for the PC version. They just jacked up the price $10 for no reason. Oh I know why, they stripped features for us to make us be just like console users.

Why not just strip PC gamers of keyboard and mouse and require a 360 controller already.

reaver11

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Well fuck. And here I was actually looking forward to MW2 on PC. Gonna cancel my preorder and put it towards something else (Borderlands maybe?)

I don't see how they think this is a good idea. Pirates will still find a workaround, so all this will really do is alienate the PC community that has been loyal for so many years. It's sad really. That and no mod tools? Well, here's to hoping IW gets a rude awakening from all of this.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Aaaand consoles make another horrible encroachment into the PC world, lack of dedicated servers is going to be a sore spot with PC gamers.

I fail to see how this is going to bode well for MW2, lets face it The only good servers are clan servers, because the clans moderate the players and weed out the retards...

Without that moderation I highly doubt multi player is going to get very far, just look at the state of Halo on the 360, its impossible to get 2 games in a row without some jerk mouthing off like he's king of the world.

*Sigh* looks like this will be a console rental for me, play the campaign bring it back to the store, i'll stick to COD4 for my PC shooter.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
err i mean im glad to say i saw this first before going to best buy to buy it.. obviously when it comes out.. NO support for dedicated servers basicly makes it a xbox game.. and i dont play on consoles so im not limited like this. Keep the limited hands tied media to the consols.

blazeorangeman

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
proof once again that Activision is the EPIC fail.

I believe it says in Revelation somewhere what the Anti-Christ is going to be like...Activition/Blizzard just one upped the Bible.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Well, I was buying it for the SP as I'm not much of an MP fan. Still, if I hadn't gotten it for $39.99 (after the $10 online gift card and the savings for it at walmart) I too would probably cancel my pre-order. Still, it will make me think before I contemplate purchasing another Activision game. I refused to purchase Wolfenstein, and it looks like Activision can continue to make its crappy Guitar Hero (which isn't even a FRACKING GAME!!!) BS. Without Infinity Ward's best Activision shouldn't even call itself a game developer.

Snowbum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Seriously, WTH are they thinking? I was looking forward to this game, but now...meh, i'll stick to Team Fortress 2 and MW 1.

mharris80

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Yet another classic example of what happens when a company is out of touch with those who buy its products. (New Coke, anyone?) Hell, I'm not even a gamer, and even Ican see how stupid this is.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
No no... see... PC GAMING isn't dying. BS.

- Add DRM that screws up the game, check.
- Remove long-term playability, check (I have YET to find anyone to PLAY against with HAWXs. Very few humans with UT3, but UT2004 - quite a bit but its graphics are getting wayyy to old.

- Lack of titles released, especially by MICROSOFT check x 3.

Pretty soon, who needs a 6850 card or GTX 450 if theres NO GAMES to play on our PCs since WOW will always work fine on the weakest of GPUs?

The good thing about THAT, is that our PCs get smaller as the need to BUILD up fancy cooling and high-end CPUs & GPUs go out the door.

For MOST people, who don't do 3D/Artwork or play games on their computers. And $300~400 PC will get the job done.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Well, looks like I'll be pirating this. "I'm a pirate and I'm OK, I Download games that don't have LAN PLAY!" REally though....yer really gonna screw PC gamers like that? Really?

dnaeye

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Are you fucking kidding me? Why would any PC gamer get this game now? We live for dedicated servers. Say goodbye to money and hello to hackers.

limpman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
oow then i'll get pirate version....what's the different bitween pirate and original if they don't have a dedicate server......stupid Activisio.

limpman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
oow then i'll get pirate version....what's the different bitween pirate and original if they don't have a dedicate server......stupid Activisio.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]limpman[/nom]oow then i'll get pirate version....what's the different bitween pirate and original if they don't have a dedicate server......stupid Activisio.[/citation]

The difference is it will be a little more difficult for you to play online with the pirated version. Granted there will inevitably be someone who finds a way around it.

What you fail to realize is that by pirating the game you reinforce their actions. Piracy is the driving force behind their actions and the primary reason they seem to be caring less about PC sales and more about Console sales.

The best thing you can do is actually speak with your wallet and simply not buy the game. Or go out and buy the competitions game. The people who have signed the petition should all agree buy another companies game instead. That would make IW realize the money they are missing out on, as well as possibly put another developer on the map for doing the right thing. By pirating you don't really show them they are missing out on $, since there's no way for you to prove that you wouldn't have pirated the game in the first place (with or without dedicated support). By pirating you're pretty much saying "Yeah your game is great and I still want to play it, and you're smart to focus on consoles".

If there is any statement to be made about pirating it should be that it's not exclusive to PC games. If you really want to get back at them using piracy as a tool then show your friends how to mod their consoles and pirate console games. Show them that the only way to beat piracy is to produce quality that garners loyal customers willing/happy to support development.

I too am upset about the lack of dedicated server support. I'm no longer going to buy the game upon release and I've been encouraging everyone I know not to buy it either. Piracy however, is not on my agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS