Modern Warfare 2 PC: No Dedicated Servers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodonga

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I was gonna buy it the day it came out, i was very exited about it i heard this and theres no way im gonna give these assholes my money.

rkelly1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Dude, get Fallout 3 for your PC, if you can get past the stupid Games for Windows live crap, the game itself rocks.[/citation]

there are ways around the games for windows program in fo3. the mod communites found a way to not have to deal with it.

[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Yeah, its not delayed but with no mod support and no dedicated servers, its basically a glorified console port. Fuck you, IW. Way to spit in the face of the players who helped make the COD franchise popular.[/citation]

This.

COD started on the PC. Went on to COD2 which is my all time fave WWII FPS. Then 3 went to conoles only. Then we got 4. 4 was ok. Then 5 which was meh. Now this.

it seems more and more game companies that started on the PC and got big on the PC betray us and go console. Luckily VALVe hasn't yet. But id already has.

DAMN CONSOLES STEALING OUR TECHNOLOGY THEN OUR GAME COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!

I guess consoles will never be happy until PC gaming dies.... yet if it does die their tech will die too....

[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]Talk about spitting in the community's face. (comment from jackal on joystiq.com) "Privately owned servers ensure that, when IW's gets yanked offline for maintenance or goes down because they can't handle the player load they've been given, people can still play the game online. This is why some of the most touted exclusives for the Xbox 360 and PS3 were unplayable online for days (or even weeks) after they were launched. IW and Activision both know this, so their decision to remove a feature just to "streamline" online connectivity in a market that had online multiplayer years before any console did (and did just fine) is simply an anti-consumer act that is nigh retarded. Completely removing mod support from a PC title is, also, an act of unfathomable stupidity. PC games are often bought because they provide the consumer with an opportunity to create their own content in an environment where they don't have the money or technical expertise to do otherwise. Counter Strike started off as a Half-life mod; it is still one the most played games online for any platform despite having been released a decade ago. Team Fortess? It's Quake mod that's had infinity longer legs (and arguable more success) than the very game it was spawned from. The PC port of RE4 looked worse than the PS2 version did when it was released; because of the community, updates were made to the game that not only allow it to easily compete with most current gen titles, but fixed the well documented control issues and even provided others (I'm sure you can now use a Wiimote for the PC version). We could delve into the countless weapons, characters, custom maps, custom levels, and total conversions that the modding community have made. These are all things the console ecosystem often does not provide (sometimes for copyright issues, sometimes to wring money out of wallets in order to sell you things the community could've created in a day) and it's always been a major factor in purchasing a game for one platform over another. Which, I'm sure, is why they killed MW2's modding community before it had a chance to begin; they now have the opportunity to sell us 3 maps at the low price of $10 and there's no way for us to compete with them. With IW pulling the feature from one of the year's most advertised and anticipated games in order to hock **** to us we would've made on our own, they risk giving other developer a precedent to do the same for future titles. ::claps:: Way to piss on the fans that made you a top developer, Infinity Ward. To do all of that while charging us $60 for a game that offers substantially less than its $50 predecessor did while forcing us to use Steam so our games can't be resold after they're played and then to completely hack out any feature that would've made the game desirable to a PC gamer in the first g*ddamn place...well...there's just no point in playing or owning the PC version even if it does look and perform better. To all Infinity Ward and Activision employees (which I'm sure is none) who read this site, I have the following kind words for your consideration. Go **** yourselves, your games, and I hope to see all of your future endeavors flop horrifically. We made you (Infinity Ward) what you are today and you ******** can't even make a clean stab to our backs as a token of appreciation; no, you've got to twist the blade slightly so we actually feel the pain. Your FPS is one of many available to a platform that spawned and still dominates the genre; no matter how anticipated, no matter how advertised, you're just one fish in a sea of many. I hope Activision runs you and your franchise into the ground just like they have to every one of their pet developers; at this point in time, you don't deserve anything else."[/citation]

Nicely put. A little long but still well said.

Only thing I disagree on is Steam. I like it. And you have a choice. You do not have to get a Steam version of any game unless its a cheap no name company exclusive or VALVe title.

If its a game you plan on selling back, thats what retail is for.

As for me, I like the ability to not need a disc or CDKey plus most Steam versions of the games come DRM free. Even the EA ones do.

justice4all

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Bastards! Have you no integrity IW? I'll guess I'll have more time to play L4D2 with dedicated servers and modifiable content.

Don't reward these con-artists with your hard earned money for screwing you over PC faithful.

Unfortunately the only way we can really speak out is with our wallets. Too bad cause I was looking forward to the progression we've come to know from the Call of Duty franchise.

They should can the cheap gimmicks ("night vision googles") and put up the real goods or just cancel the PC version all together. That's probably their long term strategy anyway hence the medicore support for PC's.

How's that for a first post?

Peace.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Why is SOME TEXT in gray? Its hard to read!

95,000+ people signed they WON'T buy this game?

But how many PC users actually BOUGHT the last one, vs pirated?

Back in the OLD days of 2000, there were over 500 ACTIVE UT99 servers. Today, about 2 years after its release... UT3 has about 4-5 dozen public servers with less than 1/20th of the with humans on them... and few of them in fact. And worse, most of them are running the boring stock 4~7 maps included in each game type.

Since its release, there are about 200+ UT3 maps now... most better than the crap included with the game.

But alas, nobody to play against or interesting places to play.

Think theres a bunch of player-made custom maps for the PS3? Nope, I believe most PS3 maps are converted from the PC versions.

So... the point. If UT3 or HAWX "sold" well at all... lets say 50,000 actual copies.... how come at about 8~10pm local times, there maybe ONLY a few dozen players online?

Since theres nobody to play against... there less reasons for me to LOG on and try to find someone. Crap, at this point - Epic should make UT3 free in hopes of getting enough players interested in the GAME to maybe buy UT4. if they bother to make a UT4 for PC.

superhoss

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I don't understand why they can't include their "proprietary matchmaking system" while still allowing private servers. I'm sure they have some half-assed business rationale, but I don't want to hear it. Homogonizing the PC gaming market by trying to emulate the CONSOLE market is a horrible mistake, IMO. This is NOT a good decision, IW...

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]95,000+ people signed they WON'T buy this game?[/citation]

No they petitioned IW and Activision to included dedicated servers, and its already up to 124,000+

I'm hoping a majority of these people don't buy the game, in any form - PC or console, to send a message to IW. No point in refusing to buy the PC version if you are going to turn around and buy the PS3 or 360 version.

adillhoff

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Why is everyone catering to the casual console players? What is appealing about playing on an outdated 5 year old system with bad graphics and low 1920x1080 resolutions? Damn money. It ruins games. This is definitely a deal breaker.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It is funny reading some of the console players responses. You can tell they have no idea what they are missing, so they just do not get it.

That said, When Battlefield BC-2 comes out, Dice is planning on adding dedicated server support to the game for the consoles. So they are basically doing the opposite from what IW is doing now. Dice is giving the console players the opportunity to see what they are missing and I bet they will love it.

Then they might understand where the PC community is coming from. After that, I bet the console players will want all their games to have dedicated servers.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Are games are being dictated by lazy-moron's that have the head's so far up there @ss's they cant tell night from day. I WAS SO EXCITED about this GGGAAAME! I no longer want to buy there PS3, I mean PC game, I played CoD5 WaW for the PS3 on a HDTV w/Surround Sound @ my friends house and my PC makes it seem like I was playing a PS2, consoles are no match and never will be for PC's. I am VERY disappointed in IW's decision. I hope that all the petitions was enough to make IW reconsider. Public,Private,custom,modded,LAN-Parties is what FSP's bring over the MMO-WoW scene.

darktranquility

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Lol at least it made my decision to preorder L4D2 real easy. We'll see, there's still time for IW to reintroduce dedicated servers with a patch. Some hardcore PC coder will create cracked dedicated server support eventually I would think. In the meanwhile, Badlands, L4D2, and eventually BF: BC2 are all very good alternatives among shooting games.

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Game developers dont seem to understand that the best tool they have against piracy is a solid secure online experience.

The single player is good but the majority of people purchase the game to jump straight into multiplayer.

A word of warning also, better to keep us so called pirates on our own system. How would your sales go when console jockeys started learning from there newly migrated pirate friends how to burn xbox games???????
:) :) :)

nightrax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
IW really are stupid doing this, l want to know how they can possible think this will benefit the PC community.

Coming up with stupid comments about, just being able to play the game etc. What a load of crap!

What they should have said is “We at IW are greedy bastards and have decided to impose the same substandard gaming experience found on consoles, if you don’t like it then you can sit and swivel on it.

Also while your swivelling on it we are going to charge you for DLC because now we can muahahahha because you can’t mod or tweak anything in the game and in doing so we spit in the face of all the hard work and dedication that all the map makers, moders etc have put into our games. So now you have to buy our content while we sit in our headquarters rolling around in your cash and laughing at your degraded gaming experience”

Time for a few points:

• Ask any pc gamer and I’m sure that 95%+ would not mind paying for good DLC, forcing it on us does not win our hearts and minds!

• Surly if you have put so much effort into screwing the pc gamer to the wall with this matchmaking, skill selecting server rubbish. You could of found a way to charge pc users for DLC content and making it non pirate-able. I’m sure some bright spark would eventually figure out how to crack it, but most maybe even all pc players would still buy it rather the having to install a cracked DLC and mess around trying to get it to work.

•Matchmaking – Surly you have seen how well this doesn’t work on L4D2! And you expect it to work with IW.NET REALLY?!? What’s soooo different, do you use some sort of voodoo or Harry Potter magic to make your matchmaking experience better then L4D2?

•While on the subject of Matchmaking, you expect me to believe this will give me a better experience then our clan server? Where l can join our 40-50 player game and get a ping between 20-45ms! If we think logically about this for two seconds my connection at home is not the best in the world 150-180kbps download and 45-55kbps upload. Now how in the world is my connection going to support more than 16 players and give them a gaming experience similar to a dedicated server. It’s just not going to happen!

•Laggy gaming – As l mentioned above about people with poor connections trying to host a 16 player server, have IW not though that running round on a 16 player server with a ping of 300-500ms isn’t going to be fun at all! Ow and not to mention that the host will have the luxury of a 0 ping!!! Not that’s not really fair is it and some may even go as far to say it’s cheating! And if it is a form of cheating then surly you should ban the host lol that will work well (host starts the game looking for players. Players join the game, host starts the game and host gets kicked for cheating)

•While on the subject of cheating, if game developers haven’t learned already then they really are stupid. If people want to cheat then they will find a way! It’s been proven time and again, everytime they come out with a cheatprof system someone finds a way to crack it and l hope they do crack the anto-cheating system on MW2 as it would be a lovely kick in IW’s meat and two veg. And force them to come up with another pathetic excurse why there should still be no more dedicated servers.

•Piracy – Now I’m sure that many of you know that COD4 was one of the most pirated (if not the most) game/games when it came out. So l can fully expect IW to be cautious of this fact, as they are in the business to make money. I think we can all agree on that, but by segregating the PC’s community many of whom have been following the COD series for years or been moding and mapmaking for years that this will most likely cause them to do one of two things 1) Not to play the game at all 2) And tbh l feel the far more likely action is that people will pirate the game to play the single player and if there happens to be a multiplayer crack out then they will play on that as well. IW don’t you see by not having dedicated servers your actually encouraging people to not purchase the game legitimately as multiplayer was the main reason for them buying the game in the first place! Take a quick look again at how successful COD4 multiplayer STILL is (l for one have thought long and hard whether l should pirate the game or not and am still undecided)

•Skill – you have mentioned about a player skill matching system, wow l can’t think of a more horrible system! What happens when l find a really good server and invite a friend of mine to join through your fisher price matchmaking system and he doesn’t have a high enough skill level and can’t join! Then you have the audacity to say “we think people just want to play the game” But with your skill system l can’t just play the game, what happened’s if l try and join a game and have a skill level of 25 and there are no games out there with a player level of 25 do l just sit and twiddle my thumbs till some players turn up?!? Your also missing the point of online gaming people join to either play with mates or play a game THEY WANT TO PLAY (What map they want (modded or not), what ping the server has, how many people on the server, selected guns mods the list goes on and on) I would not be the gamer l am today if l was constantly stuck with one skill set of people, by joining a random server and getting your arse handed to you it’s a humbling experience and also a very very good way of getting better quickly and also learning off the other player, why he moves the way he does, why does he use that gun and perks together. So then you pick up what he does and improve your game play to a level where you can beat them.

•Modders/mapmakers can sod off – Is what IW have pretty much said by announcing no dedicated servers, l truly feel sorry for this section of the community many of which have a dedication second to non and regularly come up with great mods or fantastically designed maps which can easily rivel the ones in the game. With many of game maps being improved on Backlot2 for example, l really hope nay PRAY! That the extremely talented modders/porters and map makers will be able to create a MOD4-MW2 version of the game as l feel this would be a fitting kick in the googlies for IW and teach them the old adage “revenge is a dish best served cold”

•DLC – as mentioned above l feel this needs more airing and clarification: IW let’s be honest with each of there for a second I’m going to say this is BIG capital letters so you can read it and hopefully absorb it! THE ONLY REASON FOR NO DEDICATED SERVERS IS TO CHARGE THE PC PLAYER FOR DLC CONTENT… I suggest IW that you read that again, maybe out loud so it sticks in your mind better. We know why you have done what you have done; stop pretending that we don’t know your true motives! If you give the PC gamer good DLC content most/all would pay for it to show the respect we have for the time and money you invested in making it. Also your argument that user made maps will mean you don’t get DLC money doesn’t hold much evidence. Let’s take COD:WAW for example, when they released their most recent map pack (MP3) the pc community was up in arms about not being able to play the maps at the same time as the consoles. Many people on various forums told the pc community you have hundreds of free user created maps available why are you moaning about having the wait, the reason why the pc community was moaning was 1) We felt like a second class gamer having to wait 2) The map pack maps were very good and we wanted to play then as well, seeing as most pc gamers know someone with the game on a console and odds on have played the new map pack content.

•No LAN – I really don’t know what to say about this seeing as you can trace all FPS games back to DOOM which pioneered the idea of multi pc gaming, l could start swearing but will refrain from doing so and say instead “Stupid is what stupid does IW”

I’m sorry for such a long post but l hope you found my ranting’s interesting and maybe even a bit though provoking.

One final though l will leave you with:

I wonder how many people will be playing MW2 multiplayer compared to COD4 multiplayer six months after MW2 release, I’m certain that you will find the majority will still be playing COD4! I hope this will be the case as it might make IW sit up and think why on earth did we do what we did and show all of the pc community a perfect case of how to lose a truck load of money, respect and customers !

Posted by a person who WAS excited about buying and playing MW2 !!!

nightrax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
IW really are stupid doing this, l want to know how they can possible think this will benefit the PC community.

Coming up with stupid comments about, just being able to play the game etc. What a load of crap!

What they should have said is “We at IW are greedy bastards and have decided to impose the same substandard gaming experience found on consoles, if you don’t like it then you can sit and swivel on it.

Also while your swivelling on it we are going to charge you for DLC because now we can muahahahha because you can’t mod or tweak anything in the game and in doing so we spit in the face of all the hard work and dedication that all the map makers, moders etc have put into our games. So now you have to buy our content while we sit in our headquarters rolling around in your cash and laughing at your degraded gaming experience”

Time for a few points:

• Ask any pc gamer and I’m sure that 95%+ would not mind paying for good DLC, forcing it on us does not win our hearts and minds!

• Surly if you have put so much effort into screwing the pc gamer to the wall with this matchmaking, skill selecting server rubbish. You could of found a way to charge pc users for DLC content and making it non pirate-able. I’m sure some bright spark would eventually figure out how to crack it, but most maybe even all pc players would still buy it rather the having to install a cracked DLC and mess around trying to get it to work.

•Matchmaking – Surly you have seen how well this doesn’t work on L4D2! And you expect it to work with IW.NET REALLY?!? What’s soooo different, do you use some sort of voodoo or Harry Potter magic to make your matchmaking experience better then L4D2?

•While on the subject of Matchmaking, you expect me to believe this will give me a better experience then our clan server? Where l can join our 40-50 player game and get a ping between 20-45ms! If we think logically about this for two seconds my connection at home is not the best in the world 150-180kbps download and 45-55kbps upload. Now how in the world is my connection going to support more than 16 players and give them a gaming experience similar to a dedicated server. It’s just not going to happen!

•Laggy gaming – As l mentioned above about people with poor connections trying to host a 16 player server, have IW not though that running round on a 16 player server with a ping of 300-500ms isn’t going to be fun at all! Ow and not to mention that the host will have the luxury of a 0 ping!!! Not that’s not really fair is it and some may even go as far to say it’s cheating! And if it is a form of cheating then surly you should ban the host lol that will work well (host starts the game looking for players. Players join the game, host starts the game and host gets kicked for cheating)

•While on the subject of cheating, if game developers haven’t learned already then they really are stupid. If people want to cheat then they will find a way! It’s been proven time and again, everytime they come out with a cheatprof system someone finds a way to crack it and l hope they do crack the anto-cheating system on MW2 as it would be a lovely kick in IW’s meat and two veg. And force them to come up with another pathetic excurse why there should still be no more dedicated servers.

•Piracy – Now I’m sure that many of you know that COD4 was one of the most pirated (if not the most) game/games when it came out. So l can fully expect IW to be cautious of this fact, as they are in the business to make money. I think we can all agree on that, but by segregating the PC’s community many of whom have been following the COD series for years or been moding and mapmaking for years that this will most likely cause them to do one of two things 1) Not to play the game at all 2) And tbh l feel the far more likely action is that people will pirate the game to play the single player and if there happens to be a multiplayer crack out then they will play on that as well. IW don’t you see by not having dedicated servers your actually encouraging people to not purchase the game legitimately as multiplayer was the main reason for them buying the game in the first place! Take a quick look again at how successful COD4 multiplayer STILL is (l for one have thought long and hard whether l should pirate the game or not and am still undecided)

•Skill – you have mentioned about a player skill matching system, wow l can’t think of a more horrible system! What happens when l find a really good server and invite a friend of mine to join through your fisher price matchmaking system and he doesn’t have a high enough skill level and can’t join! Then you have the audacity to say “we think people just want to play the game” But with your skill system l can’t just play the game, what happened’s if l try and join a game and have a skill level of 25 and there are no games out there with a player level of 25 do l just sit and twiddle my thumbs till some players turn up?!? Your also missing the point of online gaming people join to either play with mates or play a game THEY WANT TO PLAY (What map they want (modded or not), what ping the server has, how many people on the server, selected guns mods the list goes on and on) I would not be the gamer l am today if l was constantly stuck with one skill set of people, by joining a random server and getting your arse handed to you it’s a humbling experience and also a very very good way of getting better quickly and also learning off the other player, why he moves the way he does, why does he use that gun and perks together. So then you pick up what he does and improve your game play to a level where you can beat them.

•Modders/mapmakers can sod off – Is what IW have pretty much said by announcing no dedicated servers, l truly feel sorry for this section of the community many of which have a dedication second to non and regularly come up with great mods or fantastically designed maps which can easily rivel the ones in the game. With many of game maps being improved on Backlot2 for example, l really hope nay PRAY! That the extremely talented modders/porters and map makers will be able to create a MOD4-MW2 version of the game as l feel this would be a fitting kick in the googlies for IW and teach them the old adage “revenge is a dish best served cold”

•DLC – as mentioned above l feel this needs more airing and clarification: IW let’s be honest with each of there for a second I’m going to say this is BIG capital letters so you can read it and hopefully absorb it! THE ONLY REASON FOR NO DEDICATED SERVERS IS TO CHARGE THE PC PLAYER FOR DLC CONTENT… I suggest IW that you read that again, maybe out loud so it sticks in your mind better. We know why you have done what you have done; stop pretending that we don’t know your true motives! If you give the PC gamer good DLC content most/all would pay for it to show the respect we have for the time and money you invested in making it. Also your argument that user made maps will mean you don’t get DLC money doesn’t hold much evidence. Let’s take COD:WAW for example, when they released their most recent map pack (MP3) the pc community was up in arms about not being able to play the maps at the same time as the consoles. Many people on various forums told the pc community you have hundreds of free user created maps available why are you moaning about having the wait, the reason why the pc community was moaning was 1) We felt like a second class gamer having to wait 2) The map pack maps were very good and we wanted to play then as well, seeing as most pc gamers know someone with the game on a console and odds on have played the new map pack content.

•No LAN – I really don’t know what to say about this seeing as you can trace all FPS games back to DOOM which pioneered the idea of multi pc gaming, l could start swearing but will refrain from doing so and say instead “Stupid is what stupid does IW”

I’m sorry for such a long post but l hope you found my ranting’s interesting and maybe even a bit though provoking.

One final though l will leave you with:

I wonder how many people will be playing MW2 multiplayer compared to COD4 multiplayer six months after MW2 release, I’m certain that you will find the majority will still be playing COD4! I hope this will be the case as it might make IW sit up and think why on earth did we do what we did and show all of the pc community a perfect case of how to lose a truck load of money, respect and customers !

Posted by a person who WAS excited about buying and playing MW2 !!!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Why is SOME TEXT in gray? Its hard to read!95,000+ people signed they WON'T buy this game?But how many PC users actually BOUGHT the last one, vs pirated?Back in the OLD days of 2000, there were over 500 ACTIVE UT99 servers. Today, about 2 years after its release... UT3 has about 4-5 dozen public servers with less than 1/20th of the with humans on them... and few of them in fact. And worse, most of them are running the boring stock 4~7 maps included in each game type.Since its release, there are about 200+ UT3 maps now... most better than the crap included with the game.But alas, nobody to play against or interesting places to play.Think theres a bunch of player-made custom maps for the PS3? Nope, I believe most PS3 maps are converted from the PC versions.So... the point. If UT3 or HAWX "sold" well at all... lets say 50,000 actual copies.... how come at about 8~10pm local times, there maybe ONLY a few dozen players online?Since theres nobody to play against... there less reasons for me to LOG on and try to find someone. Crap, at this point - Epic should make UT3 free in hopes of getting enough players interested in the GAME to maybe buy UT4. if they bother to make a UT4 for PC.[/citation]

you just named off a bunch of crappy games that arent worth $5 im not shocked after the first couple of days of mindlessly lobbing rockets no body plays anymore. i live in a house of gamers SO when we got cod 4 it was 4 copys. like any other games its 4 copys.. but none of us buy the garbage aka UT we might download it to try it one night but odds are we all agree its garbage and it goes in the recycler the next morning.

I was really looking forword to playing and now im stuck with a yeah well maybe someone will make a good game next year. since it only seems there is about one a year anymore.

anartik

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Theres a lot to bitch about but... I can honestly say I won't buy it. I could care less about most of the amateur mods, the mod tools etc. I like heavy battle action and I won't play a server that does not have 40-60 people playing so forget about 19 max. I am also one of those bad people that often picks a server based on a ping low to my location. Take those things away and guess what? You can stuff your game. I also am very suspicous of the whole IW net bullshit as being the precursor to pay to play subscription as others have tried. The morons at IW forget about people like myself who have been gaming since there was a PC to game on and assume everyone is some snot nosed kid playing on a kiddie console or that PC gamers will tolerate that mentality. I am also one that PAYS for my games when I chose to play and they won't be seeing a dime out of this pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.