[SOLVED] modern warfare not running well

maz3nugget

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
I got modern warfare recently for my pc and I have been having issues running it. I will be playing and I will have solid 60fps but then it just drops to 30. Out of nowhere.
I have a rtx 2060 super and 16gb ddr4 ram. Also a i7 9700k (not overclocked). Im not sure what the issue is. My cpu is at 60% and gpu at 20% usage according to nzxt cam.
I am running my settings at max with rtx on. I have tried using lower settings and same thing occurs. My gpu never goes above 65 and my cpu never above 50. (I have sufficient cooling)
im not sure what the issue is. Is anyone else having this issue?

Solution
Ideally you want your GPU to be running at 100%...it means the gpu is getting all the data from your PC that it can handle and should be delivering optimal performance based on your game settings.

As far as COD do you have Vsync turned off in game and in the Nvidia control panel? If you do not turn Vsync off the game will cap at your monitor refresh rate which will give you 60 fps.

R6Siege can be very demanding based on the game graphics settings you've selected...the latest updates to the game have pushed the graphics quality up so much that I can get anywhere from 85 to 250fps just by changing graphics settings. Regardless if your gpu is at 100% thats where you want it...if you lowered the settings and your fps went up then again...

maz3nugget

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
Not that this is a solution to your issue, but try to run it with ray tracing turned off, just to see if that helps.

What resolution are you using? Are you using a GSYNC or GSYNC Compatible monitor?

I am not using a GSYNC monitor and I am running 1080p. I have tried without ray tracing but the results were the same.
I think the game files might have been corrupted but im not sure if that would have anything to do with my fps issues.

maz3nugget

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
First of all many problems may occur when Windows are installed in another drive, then dropped to another system. (conflicting/missing drivers etc). I always suggest a clean install. Then, you say you have decent cooling, but have you monitored your actual temps while gaming? If so, share some values please.
When I put the hard drive into my system, I uninstalled my old drivers and installed all new drivers for my system.
My gpu temperatures never go above 65C and my cpu never reaches above 50C. On ground war maps I sometimes run like 5C higher but nothing too bad.

When I put the hard drive into my system, I uninstalled my old drivers and installed all new drivers for my system.
My gpu temperatures never go above 65C and my cpu never reaches above 50C. On ground war maps I sometimes run like 5C higher but nothing too bad.
Which drivers you mean? Gpu? It's more about chipset drivers you should be concerned. Maybe your drive has previous chipset drivers that conflict with your system. If you don't want to have a clean install maybe try downloading your mobo drivers and re-installing them.

maz3nugget

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
I completely wiped my pc and uninstalled and reinstalled mw only to get the same results. (after installing drivers for all of my hardware) I am now running into problems with rainbow six. NZXT cam says that my gpu usage is at 99% constantly and that it is a minimum load. I used to never have issues with rainbow. I turned down my graphics settings and the usage got lower. But rainbow is a easy game to run especially if you have a rtx 2060 super. Now im thinking my graphics card might be completely fried. I never had these issues before, and now they just came out of nowhere. EDIT: I double checked the usage on msi afterburner to see if it was something wrong with cam and it was the exact same. Is my graphics card just fried??

I completely wiped my pc and uninstalled and reinstalled mw only to get the same results. (after installing drivers for all of my hardware) I am now running into problems with rainbow six. NZXT cam says that my gpu usage is at 99% constantly and that it is a minimum load. I used to never have issues with rainbow. I turned down my graphics settings and the usage got lower. But rainbow is a easy game to run especially if you have a rtx 2060 super. Now im thinking my graphics card might be completely fried. I never had these issues before, and now they just came out of nowhere. EDIT: I double checked the usage on msi afterburner to see if it was something wrong with cam and it was the exact same. Is my graphics card just fried??
99% gpu usage is the optimal for pc gaming and yes it will drop if it handles the game with lower load. Your thread is confusing. Try to describe your issues better. Monitor your gpu/cpu usage and temps while gaming and post back.

Ideally you want your GPU to be running at 100%...it means the gpu is getting all the data from your PC that it can handle and should be delivering optimal performance based on your game settings.

As far as COD do you have Vsync turned off in game and in the Nvidia control panel? If you do not turn Vsync off the game will cap at your monitor refresh rate which will give you 60 fps.

R6Siege can be very demanding based on the game graphics settings you've selected...the latest updates to the game have pushed the graphics quality up so much that I can get anywhere from 85 to 250fps just by changing graphics settings. Regardless if your gpu is at 100% thats where you want it...if you lowered the settings and your fps went up then again that is what should be happening and sounds completely normal.

Solution

maz3nugget

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
Alright, So I fixed the r6 issue by turning on v-sync I know, I dont know how I didnt catch that in settings. I am running at 60 fps at 35C gpu and 40C cpu. And for cod, I uninstalled it a second time, and it seams to be running better. I am sorry if my thread was confusing. I was kind of nervous because my pc took me a lot of time and money to build and I thought I might have had to buy a new GPU. Thank's to everyone who has helped me out and im sorry if I wasted anyones time.

Reactions: dorsai