Question MODERN WARFARE Pauses randomly in Single Player

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Recently just purchased a RTX 2080tI in hopes it would solve my pausing issuing with Modern Warefare's single player. I've tried everything from lowering the settings down to overclocking my CPU to getting a freaking 2080 TI!!!

On lower settings the pauses happen less, but they still happen. Whats more odd is the game plays at 130 FPS or above anytime after that. But will randomly dip multiple times in a level, and its been severe. To the point it almost looks like it froze. Last just a second or for each pause. This doesn't occur in Multiplayer or in any other game for that matter. And the card remains below 60 degrees the whole time.

Was wondering if anyone has any insight on what I can try?

Seems to be something with texture streaming and wondering if RAM or my SSD could be an issue?

I7 9700K (3.6 GHZ)
EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC2 ULTRA
Asus TUFF z390 GAMING PLUS (Wi-FI)
2600 Mhz DDR4 RAM
2 250 GB PNY SSD
WINDOWS 10
LATEST GPU DRIVERS

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Due to the way modern warfare seems to play, any OSD read I try fails. The game offers its own GPU temp and FPS meter. From what I can see the GPU maxes out at 65 at the highest point. Cannot determine RAM usage or CPU temps. But I imagine they are in line with other games I play. I only see this issue in COD. Everything else I play runs without stutter.

I do not have a raid setup but I do have to SSD drives which are the only drives I have in the whole system. Both 250 GB and the drive COD is on still has 60 GB free. Worth noting the drives appear to do 515 MB/s read and does 490 MB/s write.

I have two sticks of DDR4 RAM running at 2666 MHz.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
I finally figured out how to get MSI afterburner's OSD working in COD.

Its pretty much what I thought, CPU stays in the low 50s and gets to around 75% max utilization. GPU gets to 90% utilization but temperatures hit 67 MAX. Whats more odd these numbers fluctuate no matter what the intensity is. It appears to happen in the same locations. Same logic points in the campaign. (its a really heavily scripted linear game)

Here is a screenshot. These numbers are pretty consistent no matter whats going on screen.(The soilder in the background asked me to paint him like one of those french girls)

Screenshot-4.png

Whats even more odd, this happen no matter what the setting, here I am playing in 1080P !!
Again I have a 2080 TI and a 9700K.

I have found a work around (sort of) for now. Turning on Vsync appears to mimimize the issue. Its not perfect some select scenes still seem to "pause" but these are mostly out of action sections. Unsure if Gsync has a large effect on it or it or not. Tried it on and off, and I feel I saw the same results.

Its not a perfect solution, but I'm convinced its a software issue and not really a hardware issue. The other games play pretty damn well. I'd hope so for the money I just dropped on this thing.

Any other suggestions I'm all ears -- Hopefully this helps someone else as well.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
Hello I know this might be bit late and a bit of a Necro but I was having this same problem and I fixed it like this CTRL+ALT+DEL > Open Task Manager > Details >ModernWarfare.exe > (right click) Set Priority > Real Time

This Fixed the stutters/pauses for me! Bear in mind you will have to do this every time you start the game.

I hope this helps other people searching google for a fix for this problem.