Question Modified Optiplex 3020 d08s with i7 4770k not booting showing no display on working monitor through VGA but orange led and fans are working

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
I bought a bare bone Optiplex from eBay.
Here is the link:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-3020-D08S-Barebones-Desktop-SFF-PC-SEE-NOTES/333103739422?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I put a CPU, https://www.amazon.com/i7-4770K-Qua...EN021&qid=1572015221&s=merchant-items&sr=1-15 A Crucial 4gb DDr3 Ram stick, and a western digital 7200 rpm hard drive.

Once I finished putting everything together, I hooked it up to a working Acer monitor through VGA (No HDMI port on the Optiplex) , just to see no response. Does it need to be HDMI for whatever reason? If so I just need an adapter cable.
I think my CPU is not chipset compatible, but Then does that mean I should replace the chipset or the bios chip? If the CPU is not chipset compatible it is socket compatible.

I took a look at the CPU to see if its triangle was aligned with The one on the board, and it was, so I looked under it, and guess what I saw. .. ... .... ..... ...... ....... ........ ......... ..........
BENT THREADS! How do I bend them back in to place? Will the BIOS not show up if there are a few bent threads on the socket? If not than what other problem would there be?
The seller has really good reviews.

The CPU fan turned on, and the orange LED turned on on my motherboard. What could have happened?

-Leo

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can't speak for the bent pins or anything, but it might be that before upgrading the processor, the latest version of the BIOS might need to be installed.

Was there no CPU or RAM in it previously?

By the way, $400 is WAY too much to pay for an old 4770K. Their original release price was $339.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, getting the RAM directly from Crucial is good, because they guarantee compatibility.

As to the BIOS, there definitely are updates. I don't have the service tag code, but going here:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-3020-desktop/drivers

And choosing BIOS shows that version A20 was made available on June of this year.

Do you have a lower-end Haswell processor, say an i3, or an i5 (not sure if a Pentium would work) to try it out with? Also, am I correct in assuming the heatsink was installed on the CPU and fan was operational?

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
fan was operational?
It was at first, until I came back to my Optiplex after taking a break after trying to fix it. Now I only see The smallest puff of air coming from the fan after pressing the power button. Or I can hold the power supply button if I want to see the fan slowly running at a low rpm. First it started running as soon as I plugged it in.(the power button did not show any sign of any response) Now I have to hold the psu button on the power supply if I want the fan to spin but it runs extremely slow now.

I do not know what could have caused this.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
How am I supposed to update the bios if it does not even show up?
The monitor did not detect anything.
You would need to try with a known, supported CPU, probably an i3 or i5 Haswell.

That's assuming that the problem is with the CPU, either the CPU being defective, or simply unsupported by the system (either because of an older BIOS, or simply that it was never designed for that CPU). The bent pins will definitely be a problem, though I'm out of my league when it comes to dealing with that.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
You would need to try with a known, supported CPU, probably an i3 or i5 Haswell.

That's assuming that the problem is with the CPU, either the CPU being defective, or simply unsupported by the system (either because of an older BIOS, or simply that it was never designed for that CPU). The bent pins will definitely be a problem, though I'm out of my league when it comes to dealing with that.
I found out that the i7 4770k is chipset compatible.

This shows the chipset of the optiplex https://www.levnapc.cz/ProductsFiles/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-technicka-specifikace.pdf
and these are the compatible hipsets of my 4770k:http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7/i7-4770K.html.

They are compatible. The optiplex motherboard uses the Intel H81 chipset, and the 4770k is compatible.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
While that's true on a general level - OEMs don't always play by exactly the same rules.

For example, the Intel chipset used on the motherboard of my Dell XPS 8300 was compatible with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, but Dell never updated their BIOS to support Ivy Bridge on it.

That said, while the Haswell CPUs in general are compatible with your system, there may be these odd situations because it's an OEM board for Dell. I couldn't say for certain.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
While that's true on a general level - OEMs don't always play by exactly the same rules.

For example, the Intel chipset used on the motherboard of my Dell XPS 8300 was compatible with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, but Dell never updated their BIOS to support Ivy Bridge on it.

That said, while the Haswell CPUs in general are compatible with your system, there may be these odd situations because it's an OEM board for Dell. I couldn't say for certain.
Ok thanks. Maybe I will try. But it could have been the cable that was not working the entire time. But I will try that with a really cheap i3-4130 or something. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019

Hello! after a year, I had finally waited till now to buy a Haswell G320, and placed it in, and NOTHING HAPPENED! I think I broke something. I tried reinstalling RAM, Hard Drive, and taking them out and placing back in, and I tried booting without them and still. No response. I have no idea what is wrong. :(:pfff:I think I have a broken PC.☠ I think I wasted all that money.🇳🇴!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a way I can fix it?

The led on the mobo is on, I hear the hard disk spinning, and the CPU fan is spinning.

What con POSSIBLY be wrong...?

I am clueless.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
G3220 you mean?

And you've tried with just the RAM and the CPU. Ugh, this is hard to sayI'd say RAM and CPU only, disconnect hard drive. If it doesn't work, something is definitely wrong. Hard to say if it's the MB, CPU, RAM, or maybe even the PSU.

But, diagnosing HW trouble, I'll admit, isn't one of my strong suits.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
This is never going to work. I don't know what to do with this thing. I could try to sell my i7 4770k and my Pentium for $400.

I don't want to spend an extra 500 dollars building a new PC with an obsolete i7, and with ddr3 memory, because you can easily build a better system for the same price with newer parts.

I have bought my i7 for 177 dollars. I could have saved this money for college or something.:colere::mad::fou: I don't know.

I think someone might actually buy them.

I have seen i7 4770k's going for $350-$400 before.

I have also seen many 780tis for over $2000 about a year ago.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
This is never going to work. I don't know what to do with this thing. I could try to sell my i7 4770k and my Pentium for $400.

I don't want to spend an extra 500 dollars building a new PC with an obsolete i7, and with ddr3 memory, because you can easily build a better system for the same price with newer parts.

I have bought my i7 for 177 dollars. I could have saved this money for college or something.:colere::mad::fou: I don't know.

I think someone might actually buy them.

I have seen i7 4770k's going for $350-$400 before.

I have also seen many 780tis for over $2000 about a year ago.
And then I could use the money to build a better system. I was thinking of getting the i7-10700k, i7-8700k, i9-9900k, or the r9 9900x.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
Note that, while you may see some of the older components listed for kind of high prices, I don't think sellers are actually getting what they're asking.
Well that's true, but someone might actually buy it if the picture on eBay looks good. I will have a picture of a boxed 4770k and a boxed Pentium, because they may look like a better deal if they think the box looks good.

Even though when I bought them, they were not boxed.