Modify 8400 front usb ports and phone jack to make them ac..

The computer sits on the floor under a table. To plug into the
headphone jack I have to get on the floor and use a mechanic's mirror.
I can't use an extension because the inserted plug mutes line-out. If
the jack pointed up instead of down that might help.

The USB ports have surrounding plastic that prevents the insertion of
any of my USB connectors. Did an engineer actually get paid to design
this?

Has anyone succeeded in modifying the 8400 to make these jacks
accessible? What did you do?

--David

David Ellis <> wrote:
>The computer sits on the floor under a table. To plug into the
>headphone jack I have to get on the floor and use a mechanic's mirror.
>I can't use an extension because the inserted plug mutes line-out. If
>the jack pointed up instead of down that might help.

How about an external switch box for headphones/speaker?
CyberGuys(.com) carries such a beast.

>The USB ports have surrounding plastic that prevents the insertion of
>any of my USB connectors. Did an engineer actually get paid to design
>this?

Yeah, Dell really fell down on some of their front USB port designs.
The Optiplex GX270 not only had them at an angle, but "upside-down" as
well. Get an extension cable or a small hub.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:35:16 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>David Ellis <> wrote:
>>The computer sits on the floor under a table. To plug into the
>>headphone jack I have to get on the floor and use a mechanic's mirror.
>>I can't use an extension because the inserted plug mutes line-out. If
>>the jack pointed up instead of down that might help.
>
>How about an external switch box for headphones/speaker?
>CyberGuys(.com) carries such a beast.
>
>>The USB ports have surrounding plastic that prevents the insertion of
>>any of my USB connectors. Did an engineer actually get paid to design
>>this?
>
>Yeah, Dell really fell down on some of their front USB port designs.
>The Optiplex GX270 not only had them at an angle, but "upside-down" as
>well. Get an extension cable or a small hub.

I got a hub.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:14:04 -0800, David Ellis <> wrote:

>The computer sits on the floor under a table. To plug into the
>headphone jack I have to get on the floor and use a mechanic's mirror.
>I can't use an extension because the inserted plug mutes line-out. If
>the jack pointed up instead of down that might help.
>
>The USB ports have surrounding plastic that prevents the insertion of
>any of my USB connectors. Did an engineer actually get paid to design
>this?
>
>Has anyone succeeded in modifying the 8400 to make these jacks
>accessible? What did you do?
>
>--David

What a wonderful question. I am awaiting the answer. Ever since Dell
decided to make this wonderful exercise equipment I have to stand on
my head to get to it hence don't even bother to use it.