Modify A closed Loop Water cooler?

naroleth

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Ok, i was wondering if i could modify a closed loop water cooler (eg a Corsair H100 or something smaller) to cool my GTX 570? im just trying to conserve space in my case at the moment because its a right mess and possibly save some cash too :kaola: If you guys think this is a bad idea what do you recommend i use?

just so you know my case is : Zalman Z9 plus and i may be watercooling my CPU (AMD Phenom ii x4 955 BE :) ) at a later date when money is in abundance :p

Any suggestions?

Naroleth

vargis14

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Asetek760GC CPU+GPU closedloop Great Cooler$69new

This is the same combo CPU + GPU closed loop water cooler with dual coldblock/pumps along with a double thick 120mm radiator like the H80 used on the PNY GTX 580 Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU graphics card. The GPU coldplat/pump has a 58mm retention dimension so it will fit Nvidia 500 series cards best for GTX570-580's. I am not sure if NV 600 series cards use the same 58mm cooler retention layout. But this is particularly good for making a quiet Overclocked GTX580/570 etc along with a nice CPU overclock if paired with a couple nice powerful but quiet 120mm fans. I have to say it would be best for Graphics cards that have a blower type setup since you can use it along with the water loop to keep the VRM's cool...just run the blower at a low speed to keep the system quiet. But it can be used on a non Blower type card if you position a fan or fans somewhere to keep your VRMs cool.
Here is the review of the PNY GTX 580 Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU graphics card.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-det ... nd-cpu/17/
Note in the review the GPU maxed at 47c and was able to overclock very close to 1ghz. Also the overclocked CPU was a I7-870 @ 4.2ghz and was cooled better then a Notua NH-D14. So it performs very well indeed!
At $69 even if you do not use the GPU coldplate/block it it a fantastic price for a good cooler with a extra pump for double redundancy. Plus it would be a fun project if you had a GTX 580 you want to stretch the legs on it along with making a very quiet system.

The Asetek760GC CPU+GPU closedloop water cooler is new in the box from Ebay for 69$ with more then 10 in stock and more then 100 sold along with a 99.6% Positive feedback. 12.50 for shipping...they will ship worldwide so Canada is in luck along with everywhere else until shipping becomes astronomical. Also these are coming strait from Asetek so support should be good and available, they must have made more then they needed since they are selling them on ebay for super cheap. This was a quote from Asetek...At Asetek we occasionally have components and items that we offer to the public. They also have Asetek Liquid Cooler Intel LGA2011 Narrow Retention Ring Kit along with LGA775 Ring Kits for $10 if needed. It comes with LGA155,1156&1366 mounting along with LGA2011..what the narrow retention ring kit is for I am not sure.

Well for a NEW double thick 120mm radiator equipped closed loop CPU water cooler that can also cool a GPU for $69 I thought it was worthy of a nice post so people can take advantage of the great price and the possibility of quieting someones blower style 580/570 and possibly hit 1ghz with it and stretch the 580's legs and get that extra15-20% + performance if needed. Actually it will work with any NV card that has the 58mm hole spacing on the GPU.
Cheers V

christop

Distinguished
You will need a water block for your gpu and that's about 100 buck on top of the corsair h100 price. I would just wait till you have the money to get a decent loop and cool your cpu and gpu. Look around on frozencpu website they have good stuff.

naroleth

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I have a waterblock already, and is installed on the card i was just wondering would it be easier/cheaper to buy a closed loop, pull the hoses from the CPU waterblock and plug the hoses into the card waterblock?

as for the Asetek760GC CPU+GPU closedloop cooler, Ill look into that but the only thing is i live in the UK so the postage price is astronomical :sweat:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Pump head and flow is terrible in closed loop coolers...I wouldn't ever consider using the pump to circulate a loop that included a GPU block as well. You also need to consider enough radiator space...you are looking at adding an additional 200w of output to a single 120 or dual 120 rad designed only to cool a CPU or around 150w alone (120mm rad)?

vargis14

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Well the asetek 760gc has 2 pumps so flow should not be a problem. Plus it is a double wide radiator. If you would look at the review it did very well on a oced i7-870@4.2 and that is with a 580 topping out at 47c.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Can you provide a link to it? Never have been fond of anything Asetek. WHen you mean double wide...do you mean a 240 rad? (2x120mm).

Simply having 2 CLC pumps does not mean it has adequate flow.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
It depends upon what you mean by 'modify'. There is something known as 'the Mod', which is using a CPU closed loop water-cooler for a GPU, which I have done. I have experience with the Kuhler 620, but you can use pretty much any closed-loop system on the market right now. Check out some photos I made of my own build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64047525@N08/sets/72157628978202319/

This was using zip-ties, and you have to be careful to ensure that they're tight enough otherwise your card will overheat (mine did so, survived the experience, but be warned). You can also buy a custom-made bracket for this purpose from here: http://triptcc.com/

This will give you an idea of how popular this mod is...it works well. I play MWO, which is based on an unoptimised version of CryEngine 3, and my GPU maxed at 67 deg C in a 700D (NOT an aircooling case) in a large cupboard...pretty much worst case. You can get brackets for the Corsair series, so I guess you'd have better results with something like an H100.

Basically, this lets you use a CPU cooler on your GPU, and it works really well. I got a temp drop of about 20 deg C, and a much quieter systems, so it is worth it. However, I am now working on a custom water loop so bear that in mind...are you considering this? In which case it is better to put the money towards a custom loop from the get-go.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not a 'true' double thick, but it's thicker than most LCS rads. Also, I wouldn't really want to have a CPU (potentially overclocked) and a high end GPU only cooled by a single 120mm rad. Delta on that would be way out of control. Yes, you'd see lower GPU temps, but your CPU temps wouldn't be much better than using a $30 air cooler.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Bear in mind I got 67 deg C on one GPU...I wouldn't think that piece of kit is worth the money for the performance you'd get. You'd end up cranking the fans up to take the edge off of the heat. If that was a 240 or 360 rad, then we'd be talking.

naroleth

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
diellur, yeah i was looking at something like that but i already have a waterblock for my graphics card. can i not plug the tubing from the closed loop all in one cooler into my waterblock? its just that is seems easier than building a full custom loop :p

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
If you're good with using tools, it can be done...have a Google, there are some threads where people have done just that. But then you come into other issues...the GPU waterblock will add resistance and the pump in a closed-loop cooler is only specced for the CPU block. You won't necessarily get good performance.

naroleth

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Ok thanks guys :) ill just build my own loop :) now about that... Any recommendations on radiators to use? i was leaning towards a single fan 120mm rad, what would you recommend? :)

naroleth

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Also considering my case size (Zalman Z9 plus) and the fact that for the moment there is a massive air cooler in the way :p

Lutfij

Titan
After reading how this thread began and how its shaping up to be :) - OP - please read the watercooling sticky. Located at the top of the forums section or in my sig.

Will walk you through everything you'll need to know about watercooling!

TRENDING THREADS