Mods / Methods On Cooling & Silencing Down Comp

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I would like to know everyone's methods and ideas of silencing and cooling down are case temps and what not.

So wether there basic, simple, cheap, not cheap or just way out there kinda ideas POST THEM HERE!

Any different ways of quiteing are cases down, or lowering are computer temps.

Im probably gonna start modding one of my other cases that I dont mind messing up and has great temps. My mission is to mod the case to near silence. The way Im gonna go about this is changeing the back case fan which is a 80mm to a 120mm fan. And also taking off the duct and making the whole bigger and putting a 120mm fan there also.

This will prepare me for modding my main current new computer. Eventually will be modding this Antec Sonata 2 case with a top 120mm exhaust fan, and putting in a side panel 120mm fan.

I will put a top 120mm case fan, side panel 120mm case fan, and changing the 2 standard 120mm Antec TriCool fans possibly with something better.

For a end result of more case fans better airflow = lowering noise and hopefully lowering temps a little with near silence. And hopefully with more ideas also silencing it more with other ways of silencing comp.

So id appreciate if everyone would post there ideas here.
Thanks Storm~

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Frankly making more holes and adding more fans, even slow fans will only make it louder (more direct paths for noise). Those Antec's are good cases in fact there one of the best cases for quieting due to there popularity. And I thought the rear fan in those cases was 120mm if not take the Yate Loon fan idea below

You need to figure out what the noisiest components of your computer are, CPU and VGA heatsinks are easy to replace and there are many excellent quiet coolers available.

And note mainstream venders like newegg do not carry all these parts listed your better off looking at places like jab-tech and frozencpu.

Some examples of quite available CPU heatsinks are.
Scythe Ninja, Mini and Infinity (There is the chance of runing the Ninja passive depending on your cpu.)
Zalman 7000, 7700, 9500. (the 9500 is overpriced for what it does)
Thermalright Ultra 120, SI 120 (use Panaflow, Nexus, or a Scythe fan)
Noctua NH - U 12

VGA (newegg or price graber is the best bet for these tho)
Zalman VF 700, VF900
Masscool SYTRIN KUFORMULA VF1 PLUS
Arctic Cooling Accleor
Or buy a Videocard with a passive cooler installed

If your PSU is noisy.
You could buy a Seasonic or another quiet PSU.
Also Silverstone makes a PSU duct that "might help".
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-pp02.htm

The Antec tricool fans are good but Nexus or a Yate Loon with a Zalman fan mate 2 would be slightly better.

Harddrive the best brand for silence would be Samsung. *Note you need to enable acoustic management on most newer models.

And just for icing on the cake, this should be the last thing you do.
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=acoustipacksonata.html

Also read Silent Pc Review for quieting tips.

RichPLS

Champion
One method I have used, on cases that already have a front and rear fan, is simply to add a fan internally, like a 120mm, does not even have to be mounted, so it blows over mem and CPU generally towards the rear, not disrupting natural airflow. Since it is enclosed and 120mm, it does not add much noise, and can allow you to slow down the front case fan a bit since usually you hear it most because of its position, while still increasing cooling capacity.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
My point is my case has become loud because of my P D 805 and all the cooling. If I could put my Antec case fans on Low and my Zalman 9500 on low my case would be pretty darn silent. Except if I did this then my 805 would run high 50's on idle and upper 60's on load.

Now my hopes of my mods is to accomplish is to beable to have the same amount of airflow / coolness, but to have everything on low to be more silent, now im not sure if it would work, but I might try it someday.

And Iv'e been suggested that custom made silencing for my case, but @ $75 thats just crazy. Thanks tho.

Storm~

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
With that cpu the Scythe heat sinks are your best bet, if your using the stock heatsink the it will still be a big improvement in the noise level.

But umm ya thats a nasty CPU to cool if you have the extra money/time you could consider a external watter cooler. Or for the lowest noise level a passive watter cooling setup.

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Also I have heard rumors of the fabled, Tuniq Tower 120 Ultra Silent CPU cooler coming back on the market finally. That another great option.

RichPLS

Champion
All but maybe the largest most elite passive water coolers have cooling capacity less than that of top end air coolers. Especially for a hot running CPU like the 805...

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Here is a thread that has some mods for Sonata cases maybe you could find some useful info in it.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7720&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/url]

But ya its tricky due to you have a quite hot cpu (its not the hottest cpu tho) so getting the right amount of cooling verses noise is tricky. And I would buy a Antec 180 instead of that noise dampening material the 180 would do a much better job of lowering the noise.

Article: Quiet DIY OC'ed Pentium D 830 System
Part1
Part2