Typically a linear regulator can actually be quite hot (which is why a substantial heatsink is usually required, either using the PCB itself or a dedicated heatsink). If that "piece of metal" caused the linear regulator to heat up, then likely a short circuit to the GND. However linear regulators usually have overcurrent or short circuit protection, which it should shutdown in case of a short circuit."The user dropped a piece of metal, with a specific size and shape, under the unit. This fell in such a way that it touched a particular pin and caused a linear regulator to heat up. They received a small minor burn to the tip of one finger when they tried to recover that piece of metal.” "
Well, only if there is a large current flowing through it (such as from a short circuit). Anyway, the heatsink tab on the linear regulators can become so hot that its usually not touchable (by human fingers).A piece of metal, placed on two electrical contacts, can get hot.
News at 11 !
You're thinking of Cornell University.Isn't Cornell Tech an engineering college? This student was probably in their 20s. : P
"Cornell Tech is a technology, business, law, and design campus located on Roosevelt Island in Manhattan, New York City."You're thinking of Cornell University.
Cornell Tech is completely different
And this Pi laptop thing is aimed at little kids...elementary school age.
I would guess no older than 11.
Collaboration between the college and the kids school."Cornell Tech is a technology, business, law, and design campus located on Roosevelt Island in Manhattan, New York City."
So, are these 11-year olds studying business and law on an island in the middle of New York City? : P This is in fact a recently opened graduate school operated by Cornell University. It looks like they do have a program where kids from area schools can come in for the day to learn about coding though, so it's possible that it may have been a younger student. The article was a bit light on details about that though.
The article said:Also light on the level of "burn".
Was it "ouch thats hot", or was it actual scorched skin? I'm thinking the former.
But then once it goes to the school nurse to check out...articles like this. "OMG! Burn!"
As I said before, if it didn't require an ER visit (much less even leave a blister). then it really doesn't merit a story.a "very nasty finger burn." A nurse was called on to investigate the injury, which left the student with redness on the affected finger
I agree with you entirely. A very nasty finger burn would be second or third degree, but redness? A kid could get that from slamming the laptop on their finger or sucking their thumb.The article said:
As I said before, if it didn't require an ER visit (much less even leave a blister). then it really doesn't merit a story.
You have to wonder whether such a school has any cooking classes, due to the risk of a student getting burnt. Chemistry labs would be strictly out. Probably can't dissect any worms either, in case a student cuts itself.