modular power supplies

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
what is the difference between modular, semi modular and non modular PSUs? do you need full and what do they do better than each other? what is the difference between bronze through titanium supplies?

Solution
Non modular-all cables are hardwired to the PSU
Semi modular-usually the main cables are hardwired such as the 20+4 pin mobo, 4+4 cpu pin, pci-e connectors.
Full modular-all cables are detachable.

Do you need full modular? No but it makes cable management a tad easier, although with my semi-modular unit I find it to be just as easy since the cables that are hardwired are ones I would need to have plugged in anyway.

The ratings (bronze, silver, gold etc) can be explained quite well in this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2108580/bronze-silver-gold-psu-rating-work.html
Non modular-all cables are hardwired to the PSU
Semi modular-usually the main cables are hardwired such as the 20+4 pin mobo, 4+4 cpu pin, pci-e connectors.
Full modular-all cables are detachable.

Do you need full modular? No but it makes cable management a tad easier, although with my semi-modular unit I find it to be just as easy since the cables that are hardwired are ones I would need to have plugged in anyway.

The ratings (bronze, silver, gold etc) can be explained quite well in this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2108580/bronze-silver-gold-psu-rating-work.html

Solution
Non modular - All cables are attached to the power supply and cannot be removed. Once installed you have to figure out where to go with the unused cables.
Semi modular - Only the ATX and ATX 12V cables are attached to the power supply and cannot be removed. All other cables are attached later at your desire. This is kind of the happy medium between non modular and full modular since every build will need the ATX and ATX 12V.
Fully modular - All cables are unattached from the power supply. You have full control over which cables are needed.

I typically go for semi or fully modular. Since you don't have to store unused cables in the case, you have better airflow.

When it comes to the 80+ specifications that deals with how efficient each power supply is. Typically the higher the level of efficiency the better quality the power supply is. The better the efficiency the lower the heat output into the case. With the cost of power supplies today, I haven't gone with anything less than an 80+ Gold in over 5 years. For example, you can get an 80+ Gold Seasonic 550W power supply for about $60, whereas the same wattage 80+ Bronze is about $40.

80+ ratings from worst to best:
80+
80+ Bronze
80+ Silver
80+ Gold
80+ Platinum
80+ Titanium