Modular PSU cables

ddli

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Dumb question but , I just wanted to make sure though.

Can i use psu cables from my current psu with another power supply?

For example lets say i go from a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016&cm_re=corsair_ax-_-17-139-016-_-Product to a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814018&cm_re=abs_psu-_-17-814-018-_-Product . could i use the modular cables such as the 6pin pci cables in the abs?

Just wanted to clarify so i could possibly justify single sleeving, since its such a pita and i wouldn't want to do it again.

ddli

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Awesome, one last question; I heard that using individually sleeved cables void your PSU warranty because you detached the connector and what-not. Can anyone confirm this? How would the company even know though >.>

I guess they would only know if you had to return the psu and could see that you had tampered with the cables.

If you are using the cables from another psu that are factory individually sleeved then I cant see it being a problem.

Yes, I should have probably mentioned that the modular cables I mix and match have the same psu fitments on the end, but if they didn't it would become quite clear that they aren't going to be compatible pretty quickly. :D

Good point though to check.

OK, not a good example due to the difference in connectors.
The rest of the connectors ( 6 pin ) may or may not be compatible either, I haven't seen 2 oems use the same pinout on thier modular connectors.

Antec ( Seasonic ) SATA
OBR
YB_

Enermax SATA
OBR
_BY

Gigabyte ( CWT ) SATA
BYB
R_O

Some pins may need to be switched in order to make either cable compatible with the other psu.
You'll need to know the pinouts for both units, with all black cables you need to break out the multimeter.

ddli

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
So can anyone chime in?
>.>

When you RMA to corsair; they only require the PSU right?

I really like the individual sleeving look but not enough to void my warrenty :(

eric418

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
modDIY.com is having a 3-days Christmas Special that you guys may check it out~

========================================

Christmas Sale is Now Live! 3 Days Only!

25% Off All Products on top of Existing Discounts

Special Coupon Code "xmas25"

We wish you merry Christmas and a Happy new year, enjoy Shopping!

(Minimum Purchase $50, Valid till 25-Dec-2011)

========================================

doctorsubie

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

I just ran into this problem--trying to use some modular cables from a XFX PSU with a Thermaltake PSU, same shaped plug-ins to the PSU, but computer won't boot. Have narrowed it down to the mismatched pins--even if the shapes are same, won't necessarily work (learned the hard way)

drsubie

eric418

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Alternatively, simply buy a single braid sleeved extension cable so you can have great looking rig without altering/changing your PSU at all.

Off-the-shelf single braid sleeved extension cables in 4-Pin / 6-Pin / 8-Pin / 24-Pin are all available.

vanarebane

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Actually, these modular PSU cables can be different and can kill your hardware if not checked properly. Also it's dangerous when people just answer you and say without really knowing or have been checking that they are all the same.

Here is a story to prove that this kind of accident can happen. Be careful!
http://groundify.com/psu-modular-connectors-are-non-standard-and-dangerous/