Question Molex cable melted into port

Apr 22, 2019
Hey guys, I was playing video games when I started experiencing unusual crashes then after taking apart my computer one of the 8 pin cable parts had melted, after taking it out I examined the molex port of the card and found some melted plastic which I think may block Me putting a new one In, any advice For me And what to do in the situation

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
It sounds like a fire risk to me, something has obviously gone seriously wrong with the power supply and or it’s connectors. I wouldn’t risk using it again, just buy a new, good quality power supply for peace of mind.

Apr 22, 2019
It sounds like a fire risk to me, something has obviously gone seriously wrong with the power supply and or it’s connectors. I wouldn’t risk using it again, just buy a new, good quality power supply for peace of mind.
I have but I'm worried about the graphics card because I can see somone melted plastic in the port I can send a pic but I don't know how to attach one

The melting, high temp was probably cause by cable not plugged in solidly and/or dirty connection.

To remove/clean the connector, use some kind of cutter for plastic parts, a heavy duty cardboard cutter, or a nice dremel if you have one, taking care not to cut yourself or damage the Mobo, a dremel's wire brush wheel to clean the metal contacts if accessible, worst case scenario, u may have to replace, resolder the connector with a new one. Oy, this job not for newbies.