[SOLVED] Molex Power Cable Interchangeable?

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

Long story short I'm missing a molex power cable from my cs 550m corsair powersupply which I need for my case fan controller and cpu fan rgb. It's a pretty old system and case.

Anyways I did some research online and its usually a big nono but my friend reckons it's all standard with Molex. If it where any other component like Mobo/Cpu or GPU I wouldn't risk it at all but Molex feels a bit more chill.

Currently my cables have "type 3" labeled on them if that helps.

Thank you. :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you are connecting the Molex cable directly to the PSU (like to one of the modular ports on the PSU), you need a cable specifically wired for that PSU.

If you are connecting the Molex cable to an existing connector (like a free SATA power connector), then a "standard" adapter cable can be used.

In general, adapter cables are not recommended. Many are often substandard and can lead to damage.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
If you are connecting the Molex cable directly to the PSU (like to one of the modular ports on the PSU), you need a cable specifically wired for that PSU.

If you are connecting the Molex cable to an existing connector (like a free SATA power connector), then a "standard" adapter cable can be used.

In general, adapter cables are not recommended. Many are often substandard and can lead to damage.

Hmmm, well it would be a molex cable coming out of a modular port into a male fan connector hub and male rgb dongle.

Is there any way to tell if they are gravy?

Otherwise my best bet is finding another corsair Molex and matching them from the website.