Question One pcie cable acceptable for a gigabyte 3070 gaming oc

spartanjack321

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
Is using a molex to 6 pin safe for the 6 pin slot on a 3070? I have been doing this with a 1070ti for the past 4 years with no issue. The model of 3070 I'm getting has a 8pin and a 6pin just like the 1070ti I have currently. So question is regular 8 pin and molex to 6 pin okay?

spartanjack321

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
A 3070 is a long way from the power draw of a 1070 ti. Aside from not having recommended it in the first configuration, I certainly would not gamble the cost of a 30 series card against a PSU with the proper connectors.
The power supply has the proper connectors. Somewhere in my house. I used the Molex for my 1070ti because the card came with a Molex to 6pin in the box

spartanjack321

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
A 3070 is a long way from the power draw of a 1070 ti. Aside from not having recommended it in the first configuration, I certainly would not gamble the cost of a 30 series card against a PSU with the proper connectors.
What about the other 8pin that's on the same branch? I've seen someone use this on YouTube but not sure it's okay. It's two 8 pins on one cable but obviously in this scenario it would be used as one 8pin and a 6pin

At 220w the 3070 technically shouldn't require the 6-pin at all except for overclocking headroom, so a two molex to 6-pin might be OK but it is 40w higher than the 1070Ti.

That is a lot of money to risk though, given the threads on how unplugging a power connector while running killed their GPU. So I would much rather use the 6-pin on the same cable.

Fun story, I burned up a two molex to 6-pin adapter (as in it caught on fire) because it was a counterfeit. The wires were all marked 18ga but after the insulation burned off I measured them at 28ga. Someone went through the trouble of counterfeiting wires with extra thick insulation to save a few pennies. The 250w GTX480 was unscathed.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
As I mentioned before, doing said is a gamble that you are willing to take over the Molex adapter, which was (technically) designed to run something like a hard drive or supplemental fan or accessory against the price of a new and properly cabled PSU.

I see situations where a lot of people use this solution. I wouldn't personally gamble a $500+ GPU against a proper solution.

spartanjack321

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
As I mentioned before, doing said is a gamble that you are willing to take over the Molex adapter, which was (technically) designed to run something like a hard drive or supplemental fan or accessory against the price of a new and properly cabled PSU.

I see situations where a lot of people use this solution. I wouldn't personally gamble a $500+ GPU against a proper solution.

Yes I know now the molex is abit sus. But what about the pig tailed double 8 pins? I've seen some use these and be fine? Ofc I'd use the 8 pin and then snap the other ones to use as a 6pin

I’ve seen where a molex to sata connector actually had caught fire inside a pc and melted the connectors on the hard drive it was connected to. There were also burn marks inside the case. Do you really trust a 500 dollar gpu to a 99 cent adapter? Do what you want but you should probably buy a new psu.