sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I am using a i7 13700K with NZXT KRAKEN X63 Cooler. When gaming my average temps are around 65C to 70C. But in HWINFO64 Temp graph I see sometimes My temps goes around 80c or even 85C for like a millisecond. Then it comes back to normal 65 to 70c. Is this Safe for my CPU? and Why is this happening any idea? I haven't done any Undervolting.
My setup
I7 13700K
RTX 4070 TI
ASUS TUF Z690 DDR5
32GB RAM
1000 WATT SMPS

Last edited:
I am using a i7 13700K with NZXT KRAKEN X63 Cooler. When gaming my average temps are around 65C to 70C. But in HWINFO64 Temp graph I see sometimes My temps goes around 80c or even 85C for like a millisecond. Then it comes back to normal 65 to 70c. Why is this happening any idea? I havent done any Undervolting.
My setup
I7 13700K
RTX 4070 TI
ASUS TUF Z690 DDR5
32GB RAM
1000 WATT SMPS
With no underclocking or adjustments to regulate CPU usage or gpu usage at all there will be momentary cycles of all your hardware being pushed to the max deepeneding on what your doing how much coding/rendering the PC has to do.... An other words your PC is basically being used to it's full potential without pushing it's limits at the same time so nothing bad happening if you wish to regulate the CPU a little and stop it from it's 100% potential you certainly can many people do although no real reason to as long as your not an extreme user that has 1000 things running keeping the system hot you should be fine

Reactions: sunit swapnasarit

LunarDapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2018
So I would grab Asus AI Suite through Armoury Crate and go into the Fan Xpert. Let it benchmark your fans and set the fans to have 0 sec fan spin up time and also go ahead and make it go parabolic to 100% at 50C-55C.

Before doing this ensure that:
Your heatsink is firmly on the CPU. It shouldn't move/jiggle at all.

You could have over-pasted the thermal paste. Remember you want a very thin layer. Just the size of half a Pea is honestly enough.

I recommend aftermarket thermal paste, and even an aftermarket cooler(literally anything except stock) because temps won't be good, especially on a CPU that's pulling up to 253 watts on turbo at stock.

"The Core i7 13700K with a TDP of up to 253W, consumes a lot of power, so it needs extremely good cooling. It supports DDR4 and DDR5 memory with a dual-channel interface. The Core i7-13700K also uses a PCI Express Gen 5 connection."

If all those bases are covered and that high of a temperature isn't sitting right with you, I'd undervolt the CPU, or, if you want to leave it be, purchase an aftermarket air cooler as long as you aren't considering overclocking, otherwise I'd do a water-cooling setup.

I don't know what the cooling setup is at stock for this processor, but honestly it should be water-cooled. But for a stock CPU I just feel that your reported temps under load are unacceptable in my opinion, if this is the idle temp, you definitely did something wrong in building the PC.

sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
So I would grab Asus AI Suite through Armoury Crate and go into the Fan Xpert. Let it benchmark your fans and set the fans to have 0 sec fan spin up time and also go ahead and make it go parabolic to 100% at 50C-55C.

Before doing this ensure that:
Your heatsink is firmly on the CPU. It shouldn't move/jiggle at all.

You could have over-pasted the thermal paste. Remember you want a very thin layer. Just the size of half a Pea is honestly enough.

I recommend aftermarket thermal paste, and even an aftermarket cooler(literally anything except stock) because temps won't be good, especially on a CPU that's pulling up to 253 watts on turbo at stock.

"The Core i7 13700K with a TDP of up to 253W, consumes a lot of power, so it needs extremely good cooling. It supports DDR4 and DDR5 memory with a dual-channel interface. The Core i7-13700K also uses a PCI Express Gen 5 connection."

If all those bases are covered and that high of a temperature isn't sitting right with you, I'd undervolt the CPU, or, if you want to leave it be, purchase an aftermarket air cooler as long as you aren't considering overclocking, otherwise I'd do a water-cooling setup.

I don't know what the cooling setup is at stock for this processor, but honestly it should be water-cooled. But for a stock CPU I just feel that your reported temps under load are unacceptable in my opinion, if this is the idle temp, you definitely did something wrong in building the PC.
My Ideal temp is around 35 to 40C. But when gaming my temps are around 65c to 70c. Games with RT and Everything at ULTRA literally. Games like Cyberpunk, Red Dead 2, Doom eternal. When playing New titles my temps are like that. When playing somewhat less demanding games my temps are under 55c

Reactions: LunarDapp

LunarDapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2018
My Ideal temp is around 35 to 40C. But when gaming my temps are around 65c to 70c. Games with RT and Everything at ULTRA literally. Games like Cyberpunk, Red Dead 2, Doom eternal. When playing New titles my temps are like that. When playing somewhat less demanding games my temps are under 55c

Since you're using this for gaming, at least seemingly, I'd disable the integrated graphics in BIOS (your GPU is more than enough for the OS to work with and perfect for the games you're playing regardless of potential resolution and settings), undervolt the CPU, optimize the fans as directed in the original reply, then see where that leads you. I'd undervolt last. But if you're using air cooling for your CPU you want the air in the room nice and cool, and the fans including the CPU fan roaring 100% past 60C on the CPU. Better to tire out fans than to stress the die. Just my experience.

These temps are likely very common but I totally get it feeling uncomfortable with it. I have an OC'd ryzen 3900x with 3 cores @ 4.3GHZ and the rest at 4.1GHZ with an undervolt and my temps at stress test don't go past 87C. So it's definitely very seemingly inefficient to have temps this high when my benchmarks are crushing Threadrippers. Consider that I have a 280mm NZXT AIO water cooled setup though.

Bottom line, the more power you can cut off from the CPU and keep stability with minimal loss of multi-threading performance (use CPU-Z benchmarking tool as you undervolt) the better in general!

Last edited:
Reactions: sunit swapnasarit

sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Since you're using this for gaming, at least seemingly, I'd disable the integrated graphics, undervolt the CPU, optimize the fans as directed in the original reply, then see where that leads you. I'd undervolt last. But if you're using air cooling for your CPU you want the air in the room nice and cool, and the fans including the CPU fan roaring 100% past 60C on the CPU. Better to tire out fans than to stress the die. Just my experience.

These temps are likely very common but I totally get it feeling uncomfortable with it. I have an OC'd ryzen 3900x with 3 cores @ 4.3GHZ and the rest at 4.1GHZ with an undervolt and my temps at stress test don't go past 87C. So it's definitely very seemingly inefficient to have temps this high when my benchmarks are crushing Threadrippers. Consider that I have a 280mm NZXT AIO water cooled setup though.

Bottom line, the more power you can cut off from the CPU and keep stability with minimal loss of multi-threading performance (use CPU-Z benchmarking tool as you undervolt) the better in general!
I also Have that NZXT cooler. I have fan curves and pump speed all set up. I dont really do stress test. I did one temps went upto 90C all P CORES at 5.3GHZ. No Thermal throttle what so ever. I don't really want to Undervolt or touch my bios. If these temps are good and safe then i dont mind. I mostly game but when rendering on Adobe Temps are around 60C.

LunarDapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2018
I also Have that NZXT cooler. I have fan curves and pump speed all set up. I dont really do stress test. I did one temps went upto 90C all P CORES at 5.3GHZ. No Thermal throttle what so ever. I don't really want to Undervolt or touch my bios. If these temps are good and safe then i dont mind. I mostly game but when rendering on Adobe Temps are around 60C.

I get it I hate using BIOS because options vary by motherboard and any mistake makes you have to dive into the case and flip CMOS. Consider Intel Extreme Tuning Utility software to undervolt. You'll likely be able to undervolt a even a tad and save so much heat on your die. This high temp concern is common for this CPU. Go into NZXT CAM and make sure the pump is at a 100% past 50C and the fans are 100% past 60C in the config.

Lots of people reporting saving 15C or more off the die using the IETU software.

I think as long as you aren't going above 100C you're okay, but considering I always offset calculated temps by +10C from real temp, you don't want it floating there. Not because it's dangerous for the CPU per se, but because that temp being so close to the motherboard often times causes heat damage to the areas on the board around it, especially in the summer.

Legitimately I'd undervolt the CPU, not just for the CPU, but mostly in concern of the motherboard life. Stock settings and conditions are generally not the safest for the lifetime of your PC.

If you REALLY don't want to mess around with it, I'd consider everything 3 star / 5 at best considering you're using a very beefy aftermarket watercooler. Those temps are nuts. To me at least.

Last edited: