Monetary value of GTX 780 compared to the 970

SDMilne

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
My 780 is faulty and the retailer that sold me my prebuilt computer are willing to replace it. I have asked if they would be able to replace it with a 970. As far as I am aware, the 970, while a superior product actually costs slightly less. I see also that they now use it as standard in computers several hundred pounds less expensive than the one I paid for.

They describe it as an upgrade I will need to pay a fee for. They say they will evaluate this fee based on the price difference between either the 970 as of today and the 780 as of today, or the 970 as of today and the 780 as of July 2014 when I paid for it.

Which comparison should they be making and how much of a price difference should there actually be in both examples?

I surely won't be asked to pay too much money for a replacement part potentially worth less than the thing it is replacing will I?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right now i see about $100 more for the average 780 (some less, some more expensive) than the average 970. this does not mean they will do an even swap or offer a rebate for the cheaper "upgrade". they are a business and will of course try to get as much as they can to offset the costs of the new card. they already payed for the 780 and now will have to pay for the 970 as well. they will want to pass as much of that cost to you as they can.

i have no idea what a 780 costs in july but i would try to do an even swap if possible. they won't let you put the new card in yourself for warranty concerns so they can charge you an install fee. in the end if you can get the new card installed for $100 or less, then i'd say you did pretty good all things considered.

of course i feel the swap should be even money but i also live in the real world and know this probably won't happen.

They will likely evaluate the GTX780 value as a used unit.
Go to Ebay and search for your card or a similar one in used condition.
Then filter on completed auctions.
In green, you will see what such a card actually sold for.
It might be only $300 for a basic card.
If they will evaluate the GTX780 as new, look it up using partpicker , amazon, newegg, or pricewatch and find the lowest selling price.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i did not look at used but new prices from partpicker. geofelt's idea of used prices is not a bad idea to gauge what they might offer as a value for the card. the more you know, the better you will be able to barter with them.

knowledge is power!!!

the good news is that at ~$350, the 970 is still does not cost too much more than the 780 at $300 used (if geofelt's quick estimate is accurate) still would lead me to hope you could do the swap for $100 or less.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
If it is fault covered by warranty (RMA), they should be paying to you for this swap (price reduction by usage is counted only for insurance as far as I know). Well... it actually depends on your countrys laws. You should look it up, this sounds like attempt of fraud to me. I would expect them to replace it with similar product if they cannot supply the original one - GTX980 for faulty GTX780. The most I would pay is difference between new 780 and 980 (or accept some money back for 970).

SDMilne

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
What they have actually said to me in an email is "Whether the upgrade price will be put against the price you paid originally or based on the market value now, I am unsure. our head technitian will confirm this in due course,"

If they stick to this then surely they can either charge me nothing extra or at the most, a very small amount of money?

I would have thought the price I paid is the price they'd legally have to judge it by?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you will have to look into the laws. paying the difference for a more expensive item is pretty normal but in your case, the part is cheaper so they should refudn the difference or at the least do a straight swap.

back in the day i had a 40gb ipod that broke and the warranty was to replace it. however, the 40gb was gone and the 60gb was in. it was about $30 more than what i paid so i paid the difference and was given the 60gb with my warranty intact still.

i would argue for the 980 under this type of premise. as good as for free or better and you pay the difference. but for lower performance a refund would be the right thing to do.

like i said before, in the real world, coulda shoulda woulda does not usually work out. check the laws and know your rights when you try to handle this.

SDMilne

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Exactly. If I wanted a £50 part replaced with a £60 part I'd be happy to pay £10. If I want a £60 replaced with a £50 one, I'm not happy paying them anything for it.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

I can give you one tip: If you need something warranty-related solved, try suggesting a solution where you pay something - they are much more likely accept it. At least it(changing for more expensive one) worked every time for me. So if I were you, I would suggest changing it for 980 and pay difference between new 780 and 980.

SDMilne

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

How much is that likely to be?

Was your GTX780 a factory overclocked superclock model, or something better than the stock unit?

If you were happy with the GTX780 you had, ask for a replacement that is the equivalent to what you had.
That may be hard to come by on the used market where it would be cheapest for the builders to come by.
If they have to buy a GTX780 on the new market, it will cost more than a new GTX970, even though it is not as strong.
They may then offer you a GTX970 as a replacement.
You might wonder why a slower card costs more at retail.
The answer is that there is a price insensitive market for second cards for sli upgrades and replacements.

SDMilne

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

The GPU is not overclocked. It's a standard Palit 780 3gb model.