Question Money burning hole in pocket

jkoster941

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Posted here many times, now I finally have the money to restore my PC built back in highschool.
The parts list is at the bottom, please let me know what parts are the furthest behind / which parts I should be replacing first. RAM is the first thing that comes to mind but this gpu is probably an antique now.

Recommendations are welcome but I really want a priority list in terms of upgrades.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case

And here is the part picker link for convenience

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j4DhWD

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd certainly replace that as it's one of EVGA's bottom-tier PSUs and given it's age, I wouldn't make any upgrades until I had something better in there.

At this point, a 1660 Ti would be a massive upgrade on your current GPU. The 3570k is still viable, but it will show its age on newer AAA games that have open world aspects. Whether to do a platform upgrade as well depends on budget.

SSDs have gotten dirt cheap since you built this rig and as a quality-of-life item, I'd definitely suggest doing a fresh install on a SSD, no matter what upgrades you do.

jkoster941

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I'd certainly replace that as it's one of EVGA's bottom-tier PSUs and given it's age, I wouldn't make any upgrades until I had something better in there.

At this point, a 1660 Ti would be a massive upgrade on your current GPU. The 3570k is still viable, but it will show its age on newer AAA games that have open world aspects. Whether to do a platform upgrade as well depends on budget.

SSDs have gotten dirt cheap since you built this rig and as a quality-of-life item, I'd definitely suggest doing a fresh install on a SSD, no matter what upgrades you do.

Ok, what exactly do you mean by a platform upgrade?

I'm not 100% worried about my budget, would like to keep all told <$1500 but I'll make it work

I actually did get a little SSD at one point and I boot from that.

Also, I decided this upgrade was needed upon playing the new CS:GO fortnite mode and getting drops all the way to 39 fps in some areas.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok, what exactly do you mean by a platform upgrade?

I'm not 100% worried about my budget, would like to keep all told <$1500 but I'll make it work

I actually did get a little SSD at one point and I boot from that.

Also, I decided this upgrade was needed upon playing the new CS:GO fortnite mode and getting drops all the way to 39 fps in some areas.

By platform, I mean the CPU/MB/RAM. With $1500 and not needing a new case or storage, you can get quite a lot of PC. I was talking more in the sense that only $300 or so was burning its way through your pocket!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($364.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 153.04 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($171.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card ($699.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1490.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-01 23:22 EDT-0400

There are places to even save money here if you wanted, but you can get to a very high-end build with $1500 apart from case/storage. The RTX 2070 may be in the sweet spot for value and if you're playing at 1080p, getting an RTX 2060 has a strong argument.

I also would hold off on this exact build if I were buying right now. The next Ryzens are coming to the consumer market very soon and I'd want to see the launch reviews first as it's quite likely that a Ryzen 3000 build will be the preferable one. AMD's come a long way in the CPU space since you built your rig, which apart from the PSU was a very well balanced and configured build when you built this in 2012/2013.

jkoster941

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I do plan on holding off anyway, but I appreciate the heads up on those anouncements. I'm going to monkey with this a bit but is watercooling something you added because of the bigger budget or is that a big staple in the hobby now? I know its easier to install but is the performance gain worth it?

Also the specifics of the monkeying: I'm looking for an ATX mid tower at the biggest this time because this comp is a big heft.

jkoster941

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Not sure if I should be starting a new thread, but heres what im looking at:

I am running into hardware issues these days because this ram is choking and dying running modern programs. My plan was originally to just buy the RAM you suggested and slowly build up.

However, my MOBO does not support DDR4 or modern speeds, and I can't find a motherboard that is both compatible with my old 3570k AND newer RAM. Am I going to have to end up doing it all at once after all?