[SOLVED] Moniter response time

Sep 28, 2020
is it true that monitor response time is affected by IPS panel? I have been hearing a lot that if you get a monitor of 1 ms response time and IPS panel the response time will be affected and it will increase
if possible suggest some good 144hz gaming moniter around 250$
I am confused between BenQ XL2411P and MSI OPTIX G241 and VIEWSONIC XG2401

Last edited:
Solution
It's probably worth pointing out that advertised response times are not always accurate, as there's no industry-standard way to measure them, and the manufacturers will often exaggerate them as a result, only counting certain pixel transitions rather than the overall average.

And often getting anywhere near those kinds of results requires one to enable the maximum overdrive mode, which will often result in noticeable inverse-ghosting that largely defeats the purpose of using such a mode, and/or backlight-strobing, which typically dims the screen, disables the use of adaptive sync, and is often implemented poorly.

So, most likely you'll be using the medium overdrive setting without backlight-strobing enabled, and as a result the...
Oct 10, 2020
Yes that is true, IPS panels are slower than TN panels which means more blur when you're moving around. I would still suggest an IPS panel because of the much better colors than TN.

Sep 28, 2020
What a person can see is subjective. We’re not all the same. If you can, try to see a few good monitors at a store if possible.

I switched to a good IPS and love it. 1440p in rich color was a step up in game immersion for me.
I have asked many stores here but no one gives you to try the monitor

its too expensive for me any other cheaper and good 144hz?
I wasn’t suggesting it as a option, just as an example of how IPS has improved. A good IPS doesn’t need to have slow response time.

As for the monitors you list I have no first hand experience. Try dropping the model numbers into this site, it has the best monitor reviews I have found https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/benq/zowie-xl2411p

Sep 28, 2020
I wasn’t suggesting it as a option, just as an example of how IPS has improved. A good IPS doesn’t need to have slow response time.

As for the monitors you list I have no first hand experience. Try dropping the model numbers into this site, it has the best monitor reviews I have found https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/benq/zowie-xl2411p
any other monitor that you have experience with and of same price range?

It's probably worth pointing out that advertised response times are not always accurate, as there's no industry-standard way to measure them, and the manufacturers will often exaggerate them as a result, only counting certain pixel transitions rather than the overall average.

And often getting anywhere near those kinds of results requires one to enable the maximum overdrive mode, which will often result in noticeable inverse-ghosting that largely defeats the purpose of using such a mode, and/or backlight-strobing, which typically dims the screen, disables the use of adaptive sync, and is often implemented poorly.

So, most likely you'll be using the medium overdrive setting without backlight-strobing enabled, and as a result the response times will be notably higher than the "1ms" advertised for a gaming IPS or VA screen. Of course, even if the typical response times are several milliseconds or more, the ghosting generally isn't likely to be too noticeable, and is probably worth the tradeoff for the better image quality these types of panels provide over TN. Keep in mind that a millisecond is only 1/1000th of a second, and at 144Hz, the screen will still only be updating its image once every 7ms.

Solution
Oct 10, 2020
My brother has the c24g1 but it's a VA panel which has an even slower response time so I dont really recommend that one. The msi would be a better option.

Sep 28, 2020

So, most likely you'll be using the medium overdrive setting without backlight-strobing enabled, and as a result the response times will be notably higher than the "1ms" advertised for a gaming IPS or VA screen. Of course, even if the typical response times are several milliseconds or more, the ghosting generally isn't likely to be too noticeable, and is probably worth the tradeoff for the better image quality these types of panels provide over TN. Keep in mind that a millisecond is only 1/1000th of a second, and at 144Hz, the screen will still only be updating its image once every 7ms.
So for gaming, I should get an IPS or VA panel right? so which one is best for both gaming and better quality?