Moniter won't turn on after installing new graphics card

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
So I bought a new graphics card(Geforce GTX 650Ti) and a new power supply(supernova NEX 650G). After I installed them both(note:this is my first time dealing with installing hardware) I tried turning on my computer and my moniter stayed blank and power save mode. The power supply is running fine, but for some reason my moniter won't turn on with new graphics card installed. I've seen some people say to try and uninstall all old graphics card stuff and install all the drivers for your new one. Should I try this? Or is there another solution?

By the way my old graphics card is a nvidia geforce gt520

Solution
Yes remove the old drivers, but I've never seen old drivers cause a monitor to stay in sleep mode. I'm confident the old drivers are no the problem, but you should still remove them for other reasons. Since the drivers don't become an issue into Windows starts. Most likely your gpu is not seated correctly. Try to remove and place the video card again.

Do you hear a POST beep, are the fans turning, is the motherboard light on? IF yes to all, your psu should be fine.

Next check that there is power from the psu to the card. The connectors should be firm.

After that, check the display cable from vga/dvi/hdmi to the monitor is firmly connected.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Yes remove the old drivers, but I've never seen old drivers cause a monitor to stay in sleep mode. I'm confident the old drivers are no the problem, but you should still remove them for other reasons. Since the drivers don't become an issue into Windows starts. Most likely your gpu is not seated correctly. Try to remove and place the video card again.

Do you hear a POST beep, are the fans turning, is the motherboard light on? IF yes to all, your psu should be fine.

Next check that there is power from the psu to the card. The connectors should be firm.

After that, check the display cable from vga/dvi/hdmi to the monitor is firmly connected.

Solution

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Ok so I uninstalled the old driver and its the same blank screen again . The fans are running and I heard the beeping though it took many little beeps b4 giving the usual one. And as far as motherboard goes I can see the lights I think.
All wires are plugged in firmly

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Now I'm curious. So if you were to reinstall your old card, the monitor will work. If so, then I suspect your new card may have a faulty video port. Assuming you're using DVI there should be two on your card. Try to connect your monitor to the other one. Even better, if you have a monitor that uses HDMI try that too. You should have one HDMI port on your card.

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I have 3 ports and they are all different(on my graphics card), mini hdmi, DVI-D, and DVI-I. And I also have to use a DVI to VGA adapter.

And also because the motherboard is making multiple beeps at start up instead of just 1, I took a look in the manual and it said that its probably one of these problems..
1.Card is not sealed properly(which it is)
2.There is a problem with the motherboards graphic slot(which i dont think so because old graphics card works in it)
3.Supplemental PCI-E power is not connected to the graphics card(there should be enough considering i just bought a new 650w power supply)
4. There is a problem with the graphics card.

And then its like do this do that, and if it doesnt work contact the hardware manufacturer.
So I don't know what to do :(

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Consulting the manual is not a thing most people do these days, so good on you for that.

From what I gather you system was working as it should. Then you introduced new hardware: the PSU and video card.

Since there is power going to the components, logic suggests the video card is at fault. Trying your old video card with the new psu in your system will confirm the issues lies with the new card. Since the PSU is supplying power and one can only assume to the video card as well, it leads me to believe the port may be the problem. Adapter should work since you used it with the old card right?

Here's is why I think the problem is the card: Your monitor will switch on when it receives a signal from the video card, if the signal is disrupted or just no signal present your monitor will go into sleep mode. Still I could be wrong, but it is the mostly likely explanation.

Test the card with another monitor or if you don't have another, borrow from a friend. Better to confirm then go with the RMA process.

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I don't actually have to use the adapter for my old graphics card since it has the VGA port that my new one doe not. And I don't have a boatload a friends who live near me who are pretty into pc gaming like i am. So I guess I'm going to return and get a new one.

The one thing I just don't want to be the case is for the card to be somehow incompatible with the motherboard. Because after spending near $400 in a week, I really don't want to spend another 200+ on a motherboard

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
100% chance your 650ti is compatible with your motherboard. I'm guessing your motherboard is 2.0 express. Your card is 2.0 express. Even if it wasn't it's backward compatible slight performance penalty none that you'll notice.

That's pretty convenient if you bought the card local, since you don't need to deal with the long RMA wait. Don't mark this post as solved yet. Let's see how the return goes.

shhkapuppy

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

I had this problem, it might not be the board. Make sure in BIOS the PCI-E slots aren't disabled on the security tab, then install the correct drivers from nVidia.