[SOLVED] Monitor 240HZ - But cable 144hz is okay?

xKuLee

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
Greetings,

I am using a monitor 144hz and im thinking on going higher 240hz or more but all the cables i see online are max 144hz what is the point on getting a 240hz monitor then if there are no cables that support that

For example my hdmi cable can only support 60hz and thats all i can use on my monitor so im using a DVI to unlock the 144hz

Then if the cable is 144hz i suppose i won't be able to set the monitor at 240hz?

What am i missing here?

Solution
There are no "144 Hz cables" or "240 Hz cables". Cables are rated by maximum bit rate, not refresh frequency.

Refer to the cable selection guidelines in the pinned threads; the different ratings that exist for HDMI cables are outlined in section 5.3.

What is the make/model of your monitor and graphics card?
What resolution are you running?

It usually takes a displayport connection for the highest refresh rates.

If using hdmi, the cable can make a difference. There are higher rated Ultra cables available.

xKuLee

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
That answers my question a bit since i didn't know there are 240hz cables but looking those links i can now see that 240hz is the max speed for cables what about 360hz monitors are there also 360hz cables? using 240hz cables on them would let me use 360hz or lock me at 240?

There are no "144 Hz cables" or "240 Hz cables". Cables are rated by maximum bit rate, not refresh frequency.

Refer to the cable selection guidelines in the pinned threads; the different ratings that exist for HDMI cables are outlined in section 5.3.

Solution

xKuLee

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015

Thank you that link was very helpful i looked everywhere in google and could not find such info