[SOLVED] Monitor advice needed

Apr 8, 2020
Hi!

I've just built a brand new PC meant for high FPS 1080p gaming however now i need a new monitor for it, since my 13 year old 1440x900 LG one is obviously not cutting it.

For about the same price I could get the 23.8" 144Hz panel or the 27" 75Hz panel, so witch one should i get? I've heard that 144Hz is buttery smooth however i do like big screens, and I'm not really sure what to prefer in this case, so i thought you guys might help. Thanks!

Solution
well now that you know you can run the 144hz screen I would go that way. speaking as a gamer, the higher refresh conveys an advantage over players with lower refresh.

as to the size that is up to your eyes. I am spoiled playing on a 50 inch TV as my main monitor, and I'm getting older, my 25 incher is my secondary display.

you have enough GPU to run both screens the new as primary and the old as secondary, I warn you however, dual displays are addicting and its hard to go back to a single.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
as to which one it ALL depends on the GPU. what GPU will be driving all those pixels?
the CPU+RAM+mobo I call the trinity because most of the time they must be upgraded together
the monitor and GPU are also usually upgraded together.
they are directly dependent on each other more than the rest of the system.
if you have been driving a 900p monitor, your GPU is probably likewise in need of more power to run at higher resolution and refresh.

for 1080P at 144Hz, look to a GTX 1070, 2060 Super in that range.

Apr 8, 2020
as to which one it ALL depends on the GPU. what GPU will be driving all those pixels?
the CPU+RAM+mobo I call the trinity because most of the time they must be upgraded together
the monitor and GPU are also usually upgraded together.
they are directly dependent on each other more than the rest of the system.
if you have been driving a 900p monitor, your GPU is probably likewise in need of more power to run at higher resolution and refresh.

for 1080P at 144Hz, look to a GTX 1070, 2060 Super in that range.
My old GPU was the 2GB version of RX560 and yeah it was fine for 900p, however I upgraded and i now use the 2060TI, so i guess i have enough horsepower for 1080p@144Hz,however i don't know if I should prefer refresh rate or screen size. Thanks for the advice tho!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
well now that you know you can run the 144hz screen I would go that way. speaking as a gamer, the higher refresh conveys an advantage over players with lower refresh.

as to the size that is up to your eyes. I am spoiled playing on a 50 inch TV as my main monitor, and I'm getting older, my 25 incher is my secondary display.

you have enough GPU to run both screens the new as primary and the old as secondary, I warn you however, dual displays are addicting and its hard to go back to a single.

Solution
Apr 8, 2020

Thank you for the advice!