Razashamra

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I am currently in the process of building a high end gaming computer, so my question is two fold. I have checked around and decided on a single gpu card in the $500 range. I know I could sli and all that but for now I'm just looking to get my pc up and running. I like nvidia cards over radeon, my gpu of choice so far based on price/performance and overall reviews that I've read is - EVGA DS Superclocked 015-P3-1587-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. This card only has one mini hdmi, and two dvi connections. Any suggestions on a comparable card with a broader range of connection options?

Second part of my question, monitors. I am really looking for an led monitor in the 24-27 inch range. I have been hunting every review site I can find. I've hit on several good choices in the 3ms or faster range. This is a gaming rig so I do want fast response, however all of them that come highly recommended come with very limited connection options. Right now I'm looking at three choices - (1) ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED Black 27" 1ms Full HD HDMI - good reviews and I've personally looked at this monitor, only con is the high gloss panel edge, (2) ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI - 4 connection options, however has consistent reviews of dead pixels, (3) Acer S273HLbmii Black 27" 2ms Full HD HDMI - 1 dsub and 2 hdmi connections, also consistent reviews of dead pixels, and I've also looked at this one, I like the flat matte finish on the edges.

I'm looking to see if anyone has a better suggestion to what I am currently considering or an opinion say, from an owner, on them. I'm well aware that reviews of dead pixels and what not are often skewed so like everyone else I'll take my chances, as with any component not everything makes it to your door fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
1) The GTX580 is a great card; you can run anything well with it. I am uncertain about the value of 3mb ram, but if it does not cost more, look into it.

2) In Monitors, I am a Samsung fan. They make the panels for many, if not most of the other monitor vendors. I think they keep the best samples for themselves. Never had a dead pixel.
Over the years, i have also had good service from them.

3) I would not worry too much about the number of connections. You only need one, and either dvi or HDMI will do the job assuming you have discrete speakers.

4) I am not certain that the monitor response time should be a great selection criteria. At 60fps, you can refresh the screen every 16ms. All monitors seem to have that covered...
1) The GTX580 is a great card; you can run anything well with it. I am uncertain about the value of 3mb ram, but if it does not cost more, look into it.

2) In Monitors, I am a Samsung fan. They make the panels for many, if not most of the other monitor vendors. I think they keep the best samples for themselves. Never had a dead pixel.
Over the years, i have also had good service from them.

3) I would not worry too much about the number of connections. You only need one, and either dvi or HDMI will do the job assuming you have discrete speakers.

4) I am not certain that the monitor response time should be a great selection criteria. At 60fps, you can refresh the screen every 16ms. All monitors seem to have that covered nicely. One factor which I do value is viewing angle. 170/160 is very common, but 178/178 is possible.

5) 1080P is now very common, but you might be able to find a 1920 x 1200 which gives you more display area. If your budget is $1000 or so, look into a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.
It will be the last one you ever buy. I use a Samsung 305T 30" and it is great for gaming. 178/178 viewing angle also. I actually have a second 305T for static stuff. It is no longer sold, but you can find them for about $900 on e-bay.

Solution
"broader range of connection options?"

Like what? DVI and HDMI are the standards. It almost definitely has VGA compatibility with a DVI-I-> VGA adapter.

Monitors:
- not a fan of ACER.
- limited connection options? Again, what do you need besides a DVI input?
- recommend anti-gloss and NOT glossy if there is any room light
- monitor speakers suck
- not a fan of 27" @ 1920x1080 because you can see the gaps between pixels. I wouldn't go above 24".

It's hard to pick a great monitor. i recommend looking at NCIX as well.

I ended up with a Dell U2711 which has expensive but I like overall with the exception of the anti-gloss coating which looks like a fine coating of "sparkly dirt" when the screen is light. No issues really with games or movies though.

In my research I discovered some critical points:
- anti-gloss screen if any light in room, get GLOSSY screen if in very dark room like a basement
- too high bad-pixels?
- issues with light bleeding or non-uniform backlight?
- spending too much money is a waste
- don't bother with speakers
- Samsung and LG are good, but there are other good brands.

Sorry I can't help further, there's just too many monitors out there and I don't have the time.

Razashamra

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

By broader range of connections I'm refering primarily to my video card. I run a 3 screen set up. I am well aware of multiple addapters for connections and all that mess but the less I have to use all that clutter the better and if I can get 3 monitors that have more access connections I can change the connections for each if that's what I have to do.
I'm not looking at these monitors for the speakers, monitor speakers are always crap, these just happened to be the 3 top rated ones I found and they just happened to come with the speakers.

Razashamra

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

3g on the gpu costs about $40-100 more, I fully intend to sli this with another card later because I use a 3 monitor set up but for now I'm just looking to get this up and running and add the other card later. I'm looking for 3ms or faster to prevent ghosting of images in games among other things, its a bit overkill for most other stuff which is also why this monitor is going to be my primary game monitor, with the other two being for work.