[SOLVED] Monitor and perhipherals turn off after windows login when not in safe mode

Aracanid

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2012
I have recently upgraded a number of parts on my PC and at for the first 2 days everything worked perfectly. Since a couple of days ago though, about 30 seconds to 1 minute after logging into windows, my monitor shows no signal and all peripherals turn off (lights on keyboard/mouse etc..) but my cpu, gpu, fans, and lighting in the case stays on. I have to do a hard reset in order to get my display back, after which the issue reoccurs following a login.

I have checked temperatures when the issue occurs and they're always between 35C and 45C on both the cpu and gpu, so no overheating seems to be occurring and airflow through the case is good with 2x140mm intake fans and 2x120mm exhaust fans. My first thought was perhaps it was the GPU due to the no signal, however if I boot into safe mode in windows I am able to keep the monitor turned on. Due to this I used DDU to uninstall all my graphics drivers and have tried both using only the basic Microsoft driver as well as the latest AMD drivers for the GPU and both of these solutions have not fixed the issue. I do not have an integrated graphics, so when in safe mode the PC is using my GPU and seems to work fine.

Another thread on this forum noted that replacing their gpu seemed to solve the no display and peripheral issue, so I am waiting on a friend to lend me a different gpu so that I can test if the issue persists, but if the gpu was just broken then why would it be fine when in safe mode?

While I wait for the spare gpu to arrive I was wondering if anyone had any additional things I should check for/test to try and rule out other potential causes of this issue?

PC Spec:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card (from previous PC build)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • MB: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • PSU: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
  • SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Case: NZXT H200i

Solution
Just wanted to respond here in case anyone else comes across similar issues in the future. It turned out to be an issue with the motherboards (replaced motherboard with one from a different brand just in case) using the auto setting for their CPU core voltage. It kept spiking above the safe level for my processor. I fixed this to the recommended voltage for the 2600X and have had no issues since then.

Aracanid

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2012
Just wanted to respond here in case anyone else comes across similar issues in the future. It turned out to be an issue with the motherboards (replaced motherboard with one from a different brand just in case) using the auto setting for their CPU core voltage. It kept spiking above the safe level for my processor. I fixed this to the recommended voltage for the 2600X and have had no issues since then.

Solution