[SOLVED] Monitor and peripherals shutting off when launching games

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Recently i built a pc and running windows and browsing the internet is perfectly fine i can do both for hours and itll run just fine, however, every time i try to run games, no matter what game it is, my mouse, keyboard, and monitor all shut off at once. The PC is still on though, the cooler is still running, gpu fans still spinning, etc. Its just the monitor, mouse and keyboard that all turn off, when i try pressing the power button when this happens nothing happens so i usually have to completely restart my pc for it to turn back on. Ive checked temperatures when opening the games and they seem fine before it shuts off, i cant tell what the problem could be.

Ryzen 5 1600 AF
AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler
16 gb ddr4 3000mhz
GTX 1650 SUPER
ASRock B450M PRO4
EVGA 450W PSU

All components are brand new considering i have just built the PC.

Solution
I dont think my PC outputs over or even near 400w though, also i played with voltages for a bit and now instead of the peripherals turning off, the pc just reboots by itself when i launch games. Could this still mean its a PSU issue?
That actually sounds even more like a PSU issue. It's not about how much wattage your PC needs or how much your PSU has - it's about the quality of the PSU. Poor quality PSU's can shut down under load even if they are rated for higher wattage than the PC needs. They can also mess up the power delivery to your CPU, GPU and other components, slowly damaging those parts and sometimes triggering their protection features, causing random issues like you are seeing, or game crashes, or even system...
Considering that the only link between monitor, keyboard and mouse is the motherboard, the issue could either be the motherboard itself, or a bad power supply, which cuts off power when under load. Which EVGA power supply is that? EVGA has a lot of 450 W units, a lot of which are low quality.

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Yeah, that's not a great unit, could be the issue. I'd say start with replacing that, get a Corsair CX450, much better quality and suitable for your system. You could, before that, try using different ports for the keyboard and mouse, and maybe try a different monitor cable and monitor.
I dont think my PC outputs over or even near 400w though, also i played with voltages for a bit and now instead of the peripherals turning off, the pc just reboots by itself when i launch games. Could this still mean its a PSU issue?

That actually sounds even more like a PSU issue. It's not about how much wattage your PC needs or how much your PSU has - it's about the quality of the PSU. Poor quality PSU's can shut down under load even if they are rated for higher wattage than the PC needs. They can also mess up the power delivery to your CPU, GPU and other components, slowly damaging those parts and sometimes triggering their protection features, causing random issues like you are seeing, or game crashes, or even system shutdowns or reboots. Poor PSU's can cause all sorts of weird stuff, because a bad PSU can cause any part to behave weirdly, so it may look like a part is bad, but it's actually the PSU's bad power delivery that causes the issues. And the PSU you have isn't exactly a great unit, so it's chances of failure are higher than average anyway. It's suitable for a GT 1030, maybe a GTX 1050 at most, but a 1650 Super is really pushing it.

I'm not saying I'm sure it's your PSU, but poor quality units are often the culprit once the obvious reasons have been ruled out, like driver issues, corrupt memory, or just a botched Windows installation.

Solution

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
That actually sounds even more like a PSU issue. It's not about how much wattage your PC needs or how much your PSU has - it's about the quality of the PSU. Poor quality PSU's can shut down under load even if they are rated for higher wattage than the PC needs. They can also mess up the power delivery to your CPU, GPU and other components, slowly damaging those parts and sometimes triggering their protection features, causing random issues like you are seeing, or game crashes, or even system shutdowns or reboots. Poor PSU's can cause all sorts of weird stuff, because a bad PSU can cause any part to behave weirdly, so it may look like a part is bad, but it's actually the PSU's bad power delivery that causes the issues. And the PSU you have isn't exactly a great unit, so it's chances of failure are higher than average anyway. It's suitable for a GT 1030, maybe a GTX 1050 at most, but a 1650 Super is really pushing it.

I'm not saying I'm sure it's your PSU, but poor quality units are often the culprit once the obvious reasons have been ruled out, like driver issues, corrupt memory, or just a botched Windows installation.
Lets say it isnt a PSU Problem, what else could a possible problem be? ive already used DDU and installed clean new drivers, ive done memory tests and its not corrupt, my windows 10 installation isnt fresh however, when i moved from my old pc all i did was run sysprep on my hard drive and switch it over to my new pc, should i have done a completely new installation?

Lets say it isnt a PSU Problem, what else could a possible problem be? ive already used DDU and installed clean new drivers, ive done memory tests and its not corrupt, my windows 10 installation isnt fresh however, when i moved from my old pc all i did was run sysprep on my hard drive and switch it over to my new pc, should i have done a completely new installation?
If you have made major changes to your PC parts between new and old system, you should absolutely do a fresh installation. There can be many leftovers from previous installation that could be interfering with the new one. Besides software, the other parts that could be causing this are motherboard. There's a small possibility of it being the CPU, usually CPU's aren't defective like that but the chance is never zero.

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
If you have made major changes to your PC parts between new and old system, you should absolutely do a fresh installation. There can be many leftovers from previous installation that could be interfering with the new one. Besides software, the other parts that could be causing this are motherboard. There's a small possibility of it being the CPU, usually CPU's aren't defective like that but the chance is never zero.
Will do tomorrow and update if it fixes it or not, my old PC was a completely different system and its parts were quite older but i was under the impression that sysprep would remove every type of driver related to all of that and i would be able to put my hard drive in a new system with no problem, seems to be that i was wrong about that one lol

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Sorry for late response but ive found the problem, it turns out, Ryzen Master was automatically overclocking my cpu to 3.9 ghz without me even knowing (Stock is 3.6) so i reset clock speed to factory default and ive been able to run every game i play for hours now with no problem. I guess its good to know from this that this PSU cant handle an overclock at all but thats completely fine, all i need is 60 fps for games anyways. Still will be looking into a PSU Upgrade though when i do want to overclock, thanks for the help though!

Reactions: Shektron