Monitor and resolution?

zirithil

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hiya, I'm sitting on a 14-15" (I think) crt screen with a resolution of 1024x768. My eyes are pretty bad so I'm having a bit trouble reading. However I do need a better monitor! So I'm planning to buy a 22" monitor.

Higher resolution = Smaller text right?
If that's correct, I was aiming for a monitor with 1680x1050 instead of one of those 1920 ones.

But even so, I'm worried that once I get the monitor I won't be able to read at all since the font will be too small... :(

So basically what I am kind of wondering is:
(Just an example, no real measurements):

This letter here "H" is 2 cm wide and 2 cm high, on my 14" crt screen with 1024x768.
If I get this 22" monitor with 1680x1050, will I see an"H" as 2x2cm or will it be smaller? Because I'm not sure my eyes will survive if all font will be even smaller than they're on my monitor now.

zirithil

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hiho, first of all thanks for your replies:
1) Then it's still a problem since this also involved fonts in games and you probably cannot change the size of them.
2) I'm not using any glasses at all right now but I'm actually going to test my eyes this week. Not sure about laser eye surgery though. Sounds scary, risky and expensive! :p
And at last, regarding shubham1401's comment about the lower resolution option: I've read that other resolutions other than the recommended might look weird?
I also seem to experience it myself, using 1280x1024 on my crt screen makes it looks really weird!