[SOLVED] Monitor black without any BIOS boot.

tousif47

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Incident started a few months ago. I was using my old GPU, 1-2 times in few weeks the screen went black then recovered with a notification that said "your GPU driver stopped working then recovered". I didn't bother because I was set to buy a new GPU in black friday (which I did!). Then few weeks ago my screen refreshed once then monitor went total black! No power even on Keyboard or Mouse, but speaker was getting power (I use a tiny speaker which works on USB). I restarted, it wasn't even getting to BIOS. I thought GPU is dead so tried putting the display cable to Mobo graphics. No use, total black again not even BIOS. Then I pulled up all the components, cleaned them then started putting them one by one and trying to boot. Before putting GPU in the slot, my PC started and BIOS came up (note: I'm using Mobo graphics), windows started to boot then Blue Screen of Death. That I fixed using other threads on the forum everything started working normally, except if I put my GPU into any PCIe slot. Please note that my display cable is still attached to my Mobo graphics port. I only inserted my GPU in the slot and tried power on. But again even the BIOS wasn't loading. I tried both PCI slots and the result is same. I kept on working with Mobo graphics because I had no time to waste that moment (deadlines u know). Everything worked fine. Meanwhile my new GPU came and of course I tried to install it now. But the result is same! Black screen without BIOS. Again I tried to plug the display cable in Mobo, everything is fine! Whenever I put the GPU into the slot (even without attaching the cable) screen stays dead black, with monitor showing no signal. Now my guess is my Mobo is the problem (ffs I'm already broke). But I still want the experienced people's advice from this forum.

Please note again:
I uninstalled the old GPU driver, but did not install the new one.
I updated my BIOS (which was up to date anyways).
My CMOS battery is new.
All my other drivers are up to date as with the windows.
Currently using the Mobo graphics without any problem, everything else is working fine (as all the diagnostics software are showing, I also checked from inside BIOS setup).
Inside BIOS, the PCIe was/is set to UEFI, also default graphics was set to PCIe 1 which I changed to IGFX now because I don't have any GPU in my Mobo right now.

My full spec:
Windows 10 64-bit (latest update installed)
CPU: Core-i5 6600 (3.30GHz)
RAM: 1x Corsair vengeance 8GB (2400MHz), 2x G Skill Trident Z 8x2, 16GB (3000MHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 H-170 Gaming 3 (rev 1.0)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 D5 6G GDDR5 (Old one: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6570 2G DDR3)
Monitor: HP w2007 (I use HDMI VGA converter, monitor is VGA)
PSU: Fractal Design effekt 500W
And some other cute things :p

None of them were ever overclocked.. Thanks in advance if anyone can save me from buying a new Mobo right now :p

Last edited:
Solution
Check your power connections, Check if its seated properly, im guessing a PSU issue, it cant handle the GPU, Even if a psu is rated at 500watts it doesnt really mean it can handle it, hell i havent even heard of your PSU brand, until now, use a diff psu, Corsair if you can, some psu's are garbage, friend had a 650watt couldnt handle an rx580 nitro+, LOL
Nov 29, 2019
Check your power connections, Check if its seated properly, im guessing a PSU issue, it cant handle the GPU, Even if a psu is rated at 500watts it doesnt really mean it can handle it, hell i havent even heard of your PSU brand, until now, use a diff psu, Corsair if you can, some psu's are garbage, friend had a 650watt couldnt handle an rx580 nitro+, LOL

Solution

tousif47

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019

The older GPU was giving same problem. And PSU was running it fine. Also the new GPU fans are running as well. I double checked the connector and if its seated properly in the slot.

PSU: its a local Swedish brand. Not fancy but works fine. Any idea how do I test the actual PSU power?